corner corner The Peacock Emporium

The Peacock Emporium
by Jojo Moyes | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingcatsalivewing of Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, November 28, 2011

status (set by catsalive): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

cover:
In the Sixties, Athene Forster is the most glamorous girl of her generation. Nicknamed the Last Deb, she is also beautiful, spoilt and out of control. When she agrees to marry dashing young heir Douglas Fairley-Hulme her parents breathe a sigh of relief. But within two years, rumours have begun to circulate about Athene's affair with a young salesman.

Thirty five years on, Suzanna Peacock is struggling with her glamorous mother's legacy. The only place she finds comfort is in her shop, The Peacock Emporium, a coffee shop-cum-curio store, decorated in her own image, which provides a haven for other misfits in the town. There she makes perhaps the first real friends of her life, including Alejandro, a male midwife, escaping his own ghosts in Argentina.

But the spectre of Athene and the shop itself combine to set in place a chain of tragic events, forcing Suzanna to confront the feelings she has disguised for so long - and her family, in their varying ways, finally to deal with the events of the past. And Suzanna discovers the key to her history, and her happiness, may have been in front of her all along.

Journal Entry 2 by wingcatsalivewing at Richmond Neighbourhood Centre in Richmond, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/9/2012 UTC) at Richmond Neighbourhood Centre in Richmond, New South Wales Australia

on the bookshelf

Journal Entry 3 by gypsy_red at Windsor, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

off the bookshelf

Journal Entry 4 by RCSI-NC at Richmond, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

gypsy_red returned this one but hadn't commented except verbally to say this book was enjoyable and recommend you read it.

Journal Entry 5 by gypsy_red at Richmond Neighbourhood Centre in Richmond, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Released 2 yrs ago (11/16/2012 UTC) at Richmond Neighbourhood Centre in Richmond, New South Wales Australia

sorry I forgot to make release notes..
I totally enjoyed this book which has wonderfully interesting characters and a storyline which has a few twists and turns without leaving one confused. The ending is also not predictable and I am sure anyone would enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingcatsalivewing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, September 25, 2014

I left this at the NC a couple of years ago - it was a victim of a clearout. I've just started reading some of Moyes' other books so I thought I'd bring this one home again & give it a go.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcatsalivewing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 12, 2014

I didn't enjoy this much. Too many unlikeable people. I had no sympathy for the main character & ended up skimming the last 3rd of the book just to have done with her.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcatsalivewing at Washington Square Park in San Francisco, California USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (10/12/2014 UTC) at Washington Square Park in San Francisco, California USA

Left on a bench in the park.