corner corner The White Queen: A Novel (The Cousins' War)

The White Queen: A Novel (The Cousins' War)
by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction
Registered by imawinn2 of Neenah, Wisconsin USA on 11/27/2011

status (set by purple-pixie): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, November 27, 2011

I absolutely loved reading this story. I had a hard time putting it down. After reading about Elizabeth Woodville's story, I came away thinking... "Why would anyone want to be King/Queen, especially in those times?" and "I don't think I would enjoy being a woman in that period." Anyway, so much is written about the Tudor line and it was interesting to read about King Edward IV's reign and the battle between the Lancastrians and the Yorks. Talk about your dysfunctional families!

Journal Entry 2 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/5/2011 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Sent this book out in my "imawinn2's Historical Fiction Book Box".

Journal Entry 3 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chosen from imawinn2's Historical Fiction Book Box

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 04, 2012

The more I read this, the better I liked it. To begin with, Gregory knows her history. Her bibliography is four pages long, as well as a reference to the excellent 'Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey. In her comments at the end of the book, she's very careful to identify the sections she put in that are imaginary, and her reasons, and nowhere that I can see does she contravene known facts. For example, with the first step, the sudden marriage of Edward IV to Elizabeth Woodville, she points out just how rash Edward was. Given the understanding of the time, it doesn't seem improbable that Elizabeth and her mother (or their neighbors) believed they were using witchcraft.

The other reason I liked this was that it's quite a long way from being a bodice-ripper. Elizabeth is intoxicated with Edward from the first day she meets him, but she doesn't succumb until they're married. Similarly, her daughter Elizabeth begins to feel she's in love with Richard III, but the mother steers the daughter adroitly away from that temptation. Family loyalty and survival are everything, individual love and passion are resolutely kept aside.

Reading this book reminds us what a confusing time this was. In fact, it almost makes us live through the confusion, since there are so many families, and some of them changed sides sometimes. So as I worked my way through the book, trying to keep straight in my head who was allied with whom, I could imagine having to live with the uncertainty: who are my friends now, and who will be my friends next month?

Up until now, my favorite Gregory book has been 'The Boleyn Inheritance,' with its witty depiction of Katherine Howard. Although I would have liked a more extensive genealogical chart here, I think this has just become my new favorite.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at by mail, fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 04, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/4/2012 UTC) at by mail, fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

For Moriquen's Historical Fiction Exchange

Journal Entry 6 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Wauw, what a package! Thank you so much for not one, not two but three great looking books. And all of them are wishlist books. This is just amazing!!
I'm very sure that this is completely my type of book. I have come across Gregory's books a lot lately always asking myself whether or not I should put them on my wishlist. And here is my chance to find out. Thanks a bunch, JudySlump!!!

Journal Entry 7 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, August 20, 2012

I think I would like to read more of Gregory's books. I found this one well written and even though it had a great number of characters I was never confused as to who was who. Sometimes I felt the story developped a little too fast. A decade passing by in just two pages, makes it more difficult to feel for the characters because everything is happening so fast. But I have enjoyed reading this book and I will definately read more of Gregory's books. Thanks again for sending it my way, JudySlump.

(Reserved for Bloedengel.)

Journal Entry 8 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, August 24, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (8/23/2012 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Met up with Bloedengel in Antwerp today. She had expressed interest in this book so it is hers to read and release again. I hope you'll enjoy it! It was great meeting you and the kids again.

Journal Entry 9 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, August 24, 2012

Historical correct fiction. Right ? I do love the romantic touch her book have. I'll admit it.
And she certainly writes with great ease ...
I am very sure I will enjoy this one ! Thank you Moriquen for handing it over in person.
You look better than the mailman does LOL.

Journal Entry 10 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A very different era and a very different court than the Tudor ones ... but just as beautifully written. My husband asked me a question and I just went : ' oh, sorry, can't answer you, I'm actually right now in the Tower of England in May 1645 :) , ask me later ... ;) '.
I did see a 'historical reconstruction' on television of the two boys in the tower recently and it adds to this reading experience as it is probably a widespread, well-known story to English residents and history teachers, but it was a totally new mystery to me !
Thanks again Moriquen for sharing this book. I will find a new happy home for it soon.

Journal Entry 11 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, September 19, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (9/19/2014 UTC) at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Hope you like the surprise !

Journal Entry 12 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, September 29, 2014

I have a couple of Philippa Gregory books on my TBR but they have not yet reached the top. After your note, Bloedengal I will ensure this is the first one of Phillipa's novels I attempt to read.

Journal Entry 13 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, November 05, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (11/7/2015 UTC) at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

In to HappyHarryBabe's Random Book Box.

Fits nicely with the challenge:

The THE challenge

Journal Entry 14 by HappyHarryBabe at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Received from my Random Bookbox.

Journal Entry 15 by HappyHarryBabe at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, November 14, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (11/14/2015 UTC) at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom

Put into Kev's Random Bookbox.

Journal Entry 16 by purple-pixie at Nuneaton, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 05, 2015

Taken from Kev's random bookbox.