corner corner A Week in December

Registered by HerbertLooby on 11/26/2011

status (set by Cinderess): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by HerbertLooby on Saturday, November 26, 2011

For a santa exchange

Journal Entry 2 by HerbertLooby at A Secret-Santa gift., A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/26/2011 UTC) at A Secret-Santa gift., A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Happy holidays!

Journal Entry 3 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 30, 2011

Thanks very much HerbertLooby. Thanks also for all the lovely things, tea, liquorice, biscuits, cards, tree decoration, soap, hot chocolate etc. Hope you had a good Christmas.
Happy New Year.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

London, the week before Christmas, 2007. Over seven days we follow the lives of seven major characters: a hedge fund manager trying to bring off the biggest trade of his career; a professional footballer recently arrived from Poland; a young lawyer with little work and too much time to speculate; a student who has been led astray by Islamist theory; a hack book-reviewer; a schoolboy hooked on skunk and reality TV; and a Tube train driver whose Circle Line train joins these and countless other lives together in a daily loop.

With daring skill, the novel pieces together the complex patterns and crossings of modern urban life. Greed, the dehumanising effects of the electronic age and the fragmentation of society are some of the themes dealt with in this savagely humorous book. The writing on the wall appears in letters ten feet high, but the characters refuse to see it — and party on as though tomorrow is a dream.

Sebastian Faulks probes not only the self-deceptions of this intensely realised group of people, but their hopes and loves as well. As the novel moves to its gripping climax, they are forced, one by one, to confront the true nature of the world they inhabit.

There were mixed reviews for this book because it didn't really have an ending. It was a very good read with some characters I'd like to read more about. My favourite was Jenni the Underground train driver.
The financial stuff made me glaze over but good attempt to get into the heads of people who deal with money but are useless with people.

Journal Entry 5 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

To be taken to the Lincoln meet up to be passed to Cinderess (via Taxmanager).

Journal Entry 6 by wingReetPetitewing at The Square Sail in Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/25/2012 UTC) at The Square Sail in Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

To be taken to the Lincoln meet up.

Journal Entry 7 by TaxManager at Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Safely with me to pass to Cinderess next time I see her. It looks rather interesting though so I might read it first!

Journal Entry 8 by TaxManager at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 12, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/10/2012 UTC) at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Forwarding to Cinderess.

Please send back to me afterwards as I should like to read it too. I went into a wool shop just before passing this on and the lady behind the counter was reading it and said it is very good.

Journal Entry 9 by Cinderess at A RABCK!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thanks very much! I can't tell you how many times I picked this up and put it down in book shops; the cover is so appealing.
I *think* it's my first Sebastian Faulks book.

PS Did you resist the wool?

Journal Entry 10 by Cinderess at A friend, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 29, 2012

For me the ending saved the book as the elements came together. During reading I felt that I couldn't connect with any of the characters and though it was obviously leading to a climax, reading felt like idly spectating but not really engaging with the story. Then the end; that turned it into a very different experience somehow.
This is a very clever book with a clear message (too late for us now) but is lacking in any emotional warmth.

Journal Entry 11 by Cinderess at Kemi's cafe, Cardiff Bay in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Kemi's cafe, Cardiff Bay in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome!

Please make as many, or few, comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose. Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so we can keep in touch with what's happened to it.

If you would like to know what happens to the book if you decide to pass it on, then do join BookCrossing. It's free, private and it's great fun!

And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me Cinderess as your referring member.

*********************************************************************************************************************