corner corner Alice Bliss

Alice Bliss
by Laura Harrington | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSkyringwing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, November 17, 2011

status (set by crimson-tide): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingSkyringwing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, November 17, 2011

My copy of Alice Bliss - the British trade paperback edition - is here in Wellington for the New Zealand BookCrossing Unconvention.

Alice Bliss is a book that made me laugh, and cry, wince with embarrassment and shout for the joy of life. We were all teenagers once, along with everything that goes with those awkward years, and Alice has her own path through. She has the guidance of her father Matt at many times in the story, even when his National Guard unit is sent into combat and communications become sparse.

Closer to home, Alice has family and/or friends, a diverse group indeed, though I must say that Uncle Eddie is particularly cool. Is this love touching Alice, or just hormones? Long-time friends and new stars soar through Alice's life, and there's always something fresh - seeds to plant, people to see, lessons to learn and chores to be done.

The book didn't go as I thought or feared. There are twists and surprises, but be prepared to feel the tension and the emotions of a teenage girl in difficult times. It's a ride and a half.

Laura Harrington knows how to tell a story and how to make characters come alive. I read this book in a gallop, bouncing along on the back of the story to see what came along next. I enjoyed every moment.

The image that sticks with me, I guess, is Alice working in the garden, wearing an old shirt of her dad's, grumbling over her relationships with mother, sister, boys and teachers, but still turning over the earth and planning for the harvest.

She's a little bit nutty and obsessive sometimes, but that's how she found a way into my heart.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSkyringwing at National Library of Australia in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/26/2011 UTC) at National Library of Australia in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Our Christmas meet up. Will leave somewhere in Book Plates - the library cafe.

Look here and here for more details.

Journal Entry 3 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Caught at the 2011 Canberra Christmas Lunch at the National Library on 26 Nov.

Another good time with merry BookCrossers, books, bruschetta and bon-bons!
or is that Carols, cappucinos and crackers?!!...

with JINGLE CHEERS to everyone!

*<|8-)}

Journal Entry 4 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Rating: 8.5*

This was very good. It was also the right book at the right time for me. (It was the anniversary of the passing of my FIL. And I think about my brother every day.) I was hoping for some insight and there wasn’t really any but it was a comfort to ‘share’ the same thoughts and feelings with someone who had been there - and the author must have, to get it so right.

Apart from a personal connection, it was an excellent book in itself. The characters were very real and well done. I was right there in The Workshop.
Previously I loved ‘Being Emily’ and this one reminded me how that book felt for me. And with maybe a little of Stephanie Plum’s characters in the ‘burg’? The ending felt a little off pace for me though - but where would you end it?
A very good read, with depth and impact. (Amazing for a 'first book'.)
There was so much in this book - but rather than me write about it, you should just read it and feel it for yourself.

Journal Entry 5 by Elddau1 at Calwell, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (12/17/2011 UTC) at Calwell, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Dropped by FreePages' place while we were south of the border last Saturday, to return a book and pass this one on. I thought she might like it.

Journal Entry 6 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Received from Elddau1, when she and countdebeans dropped over for a lovely brief visit.
Looks like a good one! On to Mount Toobie it goes.
Thanks and a very Merry Christmas. :)

Journal Entry 7 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, March 08, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/9/2012 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Sending this off to Carole888 in WA as a RABK and a companion traveler with one other.
I found this one to be a lovely quick novel to read. Couldn't help but like the family and the other characters in the book. Enjoyed the time spent in the veggie patch with Alice and her Dad. I have to admit at one point I shed a little tear. It is quite a caring, hopeful story and it does make you wish all the best to those who have been in the same position.

Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 8 by Carole888 at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, March 16, 2012

Wow! Wow! Wow! What a surprise!! A double surprise .... for two lovely books arrived early this morning, hand-delivered by Australia-Post .... just before I was about to leave the house. Thank you so much for this FreePages. It looks really good. Thank you also to Skyring :) Waving hello to Elddau1 !!

Journal Entry 9 by Carole888 at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, July 27, 2013

This was excellent. It was heartbreaking and yet so uplifting as it was beautifullly written. I am still thinking of Alice, and all the children out there who have parents serving in the military forces, also families who have lost their loved ones .....

Thank you for sharing this very special book.

Journal Entry 10 by Carole888 at Rossmoyne, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Released 11 mos ago (10/17/2013 UTC) at Rossmoyne, Western Australia Australia

Just checking in and sending a huge thank you, once again as it is time for the book to journey on. I am popping this in the post today. It is heading down to our beautiful South West! If only I could travel with it too. Spring in the South-West of WA is just beautiful. Will have to do more wildflower walk trails over here to try and compensate! :)

Journal Entry 11 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, October 21, 2013

Arrived safely today as a pick from the OZZ VBB. It certainly comes highly recommended - thanks heaps, Carole.

And yes, Spring here in the South-West is definitely beautiful, if a little wet and soggy this year!