corner corner The Sea Road

The Sea Road
by Margaret Elphinstone | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 11/8/2011

status (set by HoserLauren): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Synopsis:
"A haunting and compelling historical novel, The Sea Road is an ambitious retelling of the Viking exploration of the North Atlantic from the viewpoint of one extraordinary woman, as transcribed by an Icelandic monk commissioned to write her life story by his superiors in Rome. Gudrid lives at the remote edge of the known world, in a starkly beautiful landscape where the sea is the only connection to the shores beyond. It is a world where the old Norse gods are still invoked, even as Christianity gains favor, where the spirits of the dead roam the vast northern ice fields, tormenting the living, and Viking explorers plunder foreign shores. Taking the accidental discovery of North America as its focal point, Gudrid's narrative describes a multilayered voyage into the unknown, all recounted with astonishing immediacy and rich atmospheric detail."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/10/2011 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Released to Moriquen as part of the Top 3 wishlist RABCK-thread. I hope it arrives safe and soon. Wish you lots of reading pleasure with this book :-)
Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thank you so very much for sending this book my way. I was practically drooling when I opened the package! ;D I'm going to be a good girl and put this book at the bottom of my TBR, but I'm guessing that I won't be able to hold off for too long!
Thanks a bunch!!

(reserved for VeganMedusa)

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, March 18, 2012

I have enjoyed reading this book a lot. I read another book not so long ago that almost completely overlapped this one in subject, but was nowwhere near as good. Gudrid felt like a very real and likeable woman to me by the end. I liked her a lot and could really believe everything she had to say.
Thanks for sending it my way, Boekentrol!!

Journal Entry 5 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/29/2012 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On its way to VeganMedusa as part of the wishlist-tag-game. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 6 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Yay, thank you Moriquen! I had read that this was about a Viking woman, but hadn't realised it was Guðríðr (Gudrid), whom I read about recently in Nancy Marie Brown's The Far Traveler. Double awesome!

Journal Entry 7 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Saturday, January 19, 2013

I took a while to warm up to this book. I found the style distracting - Gudrid as an old woman, telling her story to a monk, who is supposedly writing down everything she says (including her little asides about the weather in Italy, her questions about monk life, etc).
But there's no question about it, she had an amazing life, and this book does well to speculate on who Gudrid was and fill in the gaps as to what happened along the way.
I was compelled to read it in one day (finishing at 11.58!) so even after a slow start, this book grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I do wish I'd read it in winter though. I think I would have appreciated the cold, hard Iceland/Greenland/Vinland winters more.

Travelling on to HoserLauren soon.

Journal Entry 8 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Monday, February 04, 2013

This is finally on its way to HoserLauren. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Received today from Vegan! This book has really done a lot of travelling to very cool places! Thanks Vegan!