corner corner Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction
Registered by elstaplador of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 11/6/2011

status (set by alexiapapa): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by elstaplador from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Dear reader, dear finder - thank you for coming here to see where this book has been so far. I hope you enjoy it! Do feel free to leave a journal entry below saying where you found this, what you thought of it, and what you intend to do with it.

A classic example of 'never judge a book by its cover'. I did, and title + cover photo of Keira Knightley made this a book I'd never have picked up but for book club.

So, as it was a book club book, we're playing by book club rules. My one word to describe this was 'dystopia'. I had to define this. It's the opposite of utopia.

Never Let Me Go took me right back to sixth form and Nineteen Eighty-Four. It's another of those wonderfully bleak, understated, British dystopias, where everything is quietly miserable, up until you get a glimmer of hope three quarters of the way through, and then... nothing changes. You can't beat the system. You love Big Brother.

Journal Entry 2 by elstaplador at Riff's Rather Random Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/8/2011 UTC) at Riff's Rather Random Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Released in Riff's Rather Random bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by faerie_queene at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, November 18, 2011

Received as part of a book box, I am not too sure about this one so I will be sending it along for the next box reader to enjoy.

Journal Entry 4 by faerie_queene at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/23/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Bookbox ready.

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 05, 2011

Received this in Riff's Rather Random book box.

This is a really quite bleak but unputdownable story of the near future, in which a class apart of people are brought up of a future of making 'donations'. Elstaplador's description of 'dystopian' is perfect. I very much enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 04, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/4/2013 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to Lamilla from the Alphabet VBB. Enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, April 05, 2013

Though I actually saw the movie earlier, it was a natural choice, since I really enjoyed another novel by the same author.

The parcel with this book was opened by our customs! Apparently, CN22 was missing. I got a nice piece of official paper [presumably] confirming nothing was lost. I wonder if some of the staff googled bookcrossing after that!

Journal Entry 8 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, May 24, 2013

I'm offering this book as a ring.

Travelling order (UPD. 29.05)
0. Lamilla (BY) <-- sent 28.05
1. alexiapapa (GR) - EU if possible
2. ..
back to Lamilla (BY)

ETA: the ring is cancelled due to lack of interest

Journal Entry 9 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/28/2013 UTC) at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Sent today to the first person in the ring. Enjoy your reading!

Track: RR965405579BY

Journal Entry 10 by alexiapapa at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Received today as a ring from Lamilla! Thanks :)

Journal Entry 11 by alexiapapa at πλατωνος κ λαμπρου κατσωνη in Moschato, Attica Greece on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (8/21/2013 UTC) at πλατωνος κ λαμπρου κατσωνη in Moschato, Attica Greece

It was a good book that I enjoyed reading about a future life! Well even so, some situations put you to think and wonder about them!

I left it at a bench outside a tennis court and I hope the next reader will enjoy it too!
The book is released for the Team Russia in honour of the Olympic Games!