corner corner Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo modern classics)

Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo modern classics)
by Ray Bradbury | Other
Registered by NICNIC2 of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on 11/4/2011

status (set by NICNIC2): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by NICNIC2 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 04, 2011

If you're new to BookCrossing - welcome! I hope you will enjoy the site as much as I have. BookCrossing is about spreading literature around the world for free. Please make a journal entry for the book you have found so we can see where it travels to next. You can do this anonymously if you like but if you decide to join (its free!!) please consider entering me (NICNIC2) as your referring member. I don't receive anything for this but I like knowing that I've encouraged someone else to catch the BookCrossing bug! Happy reading!!

I read this in 2011 for the first of The Guardian's Reading Group discussions. Here's what I said: It appears I was one of a cave-dwelling minority who had no idea what this book was about before reading it. Having now emerged into the light I can say that I found it..... interesting.

Is it possible to like this story? It certainly felt like it was crawling under my skin, and in particular the scene with the hound scratching the door sent shivers down my spine. I actually felt, while reading, that I was doing something wrong by reading it (although, that may have had something to do with my reading it at work....).

I skipped the introduction to my edition initially but went back to it at the end and was pleased to see my suspicion that this novel had started life as a short story confirmed. Bradbury admits in the introduction that he didn't know what he was doing when he wrote it and I think that sometimes comes through in the dialogue. One tiny thing that is bothering me though is the transition on Montag's character - on the first page we have him joyously burning books with his devillish grin and only a few pages later we learn he actually has a secret book stash and is really a tormented soul. The transition just didn't work for me but maybe the short story format doesn't leave much room for character development??

I found it interesting that the ban on literature was driven by society rather than by government. The idea that books could be banned for forcing people to deal with things that make them uncomfortable and that society could instead opt for a mindless existence dominated by television and radio should seem far fetched. But when Beatty is explaining all of this to Montag it seems sort of inevitable, at least in the world of F451.

And finally I have to say that I did like the ending. When the city is destroyed by the atomic bomb i felt relief rather than horror, because now the people living outside could go back and tell their stories and deliver that other thing that books provide - escape.

Journal Entry 2 by NICNIC2 at Cathedral in St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/5/2011 UTC) at Cathedral in St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom

Left in the cathedral for Bookcrossing Monopoly 2011 Team Battleship's Historical Places release.