corner corner Lighten Up: Survival Skills for People Under Pressure

Lighten Up: Survival Skills for People Under Pressure
by C. W. Metcalf, Roma Felible | Health, Mind & Body
Registered by wingFraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, November 03, 2011

status (set by Fracula): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingFraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Prescribing humor to combat stress and liberate creativity, corporate consultant Metcalf--aided by his business-partner wife Felible--seeks to restore humor to those damaged by childhood traumas and dogged by problems as adults. Although the authors attempt to cover too much psychological ground, they illustrate persuasively, with examples from real life and fiction, how humor can dispel fear and tension in a crisis and improve negative attitudes by recognizing the absurdities of life--even war. While medical and psychological research confirms the value of humor as therapy, Metcalf and Felible warn that conditions such as depression and drug and alcohol addictions must be controlled by other, more drastic means before the benefits of humor can be appreciated. The writers recommend "working happier instead of harder" and observing an "etiquette" of humor sensitive to the feelings of others. Finally, they suggest that developing humor may enhance our last years and aid in facing death.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFraculawing at Calgary Stampede Grounds (details in notes) in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/7/2012 UTC) at Calgary Stampede Grounds (details in notes) in Calgary, Alberta Canada

DEAR FINDER,

You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world.

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

1) You may continue as an Anonymous Finder. Or, Register as a member , then you too will receive future journal entries on this book and track its journey around the world! It's free and spam-free, as you are only known by your chosen nick name and no one is ever given your e-mail address. (If you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, Fracula, as your referring member.)

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

4) Ready to pass the book on? Click on "make release notes" to let us know where it's going! Leave the book in a public place or give it to a friend! It's good book karma!

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our Facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.