corner corner The Florist's Daughter

The Florist's Daughter
by Patricia Hampl | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by OneMorePage of Mission Viejo, California USA on 10/31/2011

status (set by Mountainwren): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by OneMorePage from Mission Viejo, California USA on Monday, October 31, 2011

I got through about half of this book, but then gave up. It's interesting, but just didn't grab me enough that I wanted to continue. Hoping someone else will enjoy it more!

Journal Entry 2 by OneMorePage at Mission Viejo, California USA on Monday, October 31, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/31/2011 UTC) at Mission Viejo, California USA

the very kind MoutainWren sent me a book off her wishlist, and in return I went through her wishlist and discovered I had a bunch of her wishes on my TBR shelf. It took longer than I'd hoped, but I'm finally getting a nice big RABCK stack off to her. Enjoy!!

Dear Reader:

What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift, no strings attached. You may keep it forever and ever, pass it on to a friend, or release it in the wild. I know it may seem a little odd to find this lying around--it's my way of touching the lives of others in a positive way, with the hope that it made your day. I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey.

Thanks, and happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by Mountainwren at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Memoirs are one of my favorite genres! Thank you for the thoughtful RABCK.

Journal Entry 4 by Mountainwren at Bethesda, Maryland USA on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

As Patricia Hampl sits bedside during her mother's fading moments, she recalls her formative years as the daughter of a feisty, distrustful Irishwoman and a handsome, gentle Czech. I love the vivid sense of place Hampl creates. I have never been to St. Paul, but could visualize the streets, the river, the fancy downtown store where wealthy visitors purchased arrangements from Hampl's father. As the granddaughter of a feisty Irish woman and her handsome, gentle husband, I could connect to many of Hampl's reminiscences. The love she feels for her parents, even when feeling frustrated by the confines of a claustrophobic Catholic girlhood, is palpable.

Thanks for the chance to read this book. I will soon send it along on its journey - thinking of a wild release somewhere with flowers (public garden?)

Journal Entry 5 by Mountainwren at Friends of the Library, Gaithersburg Branch in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (7/18/2013 UTC) at Friends of the Library, Gaithersburg Branch in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

Dear Finder: Welcome to BookCrossing! Thanks for taking the time to visit the site. Please make a journal entry to let me know that you have found this book. If you are new to BookCrossing and choose to join, please indicate that you were referred by Mountainwren. BookCrossing is a great group to join – membership is free. Your name, email address, or other information will never be shared or sold.

Please take your time and read the book at your own pace. You can make a journal entry when you finish to record your thoughts about the book. Then, when you are ready to send it on its way, make a release note and leave it somewhere “in the wild” for another lucky reader to find. You are also welcome to pass the book along to someone you know, or keep it if you like.