corner corner City of Thieves: A Novel

City of Thieves: A Novel
by David Benioff | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 10/26/2011

status (set by BooksandMusic): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'd read and released another copy of this several months ago, so was happy to find this one at a library sale. Here's my review from the other copy:

"I loved this book, which is saying quite a lot, as I usually shy away from violence or gruesome descriptions - and this story certainly has its share of them. But the two main characters were just so real and - as Valpete said - occasionally very funny. Benioff does an excellent job of blending wartime horrors with humor. It works well in this book. Highly recommended!"
--------------------------
Editing to add the Amazon description, because the above doesn't tell you very much!:

Book Description
Publication Date: March 31, 2009
From the critically acclaimed author of The 25th Hour, a captivating novel about war, courage, survival-and a remarkable friendship that ripples across a lifetime.

During the Nazis' brutal siege of Leningrad, Lev Beniov is arrested for looting and thrown into the same cell as a handsome deserter named Kolya. Instead of being executed, Lev and Kolya are given a shot at saving their own lives by complying with an outrageous directive: secure a dozen eggs for a powerful Soviet colonel to use in his daughter's wedding cake. In a city cut off from all supplies and suffering unbelievable deprivation, Lev and Kolya embark on a hunt through the dire lawlessness of Leningrad and behind enemy lines to find the impossible.

By turns insightful and funny, thrilling and terrifying, City of Thieves is a gripping, cinematic World War II adventure and an intimate coming-of-age story with an utterly contemporary feel for how boys become men.
-----------------------------------------------------
This book will travel as a ray. Please observe the following rules :-) :
1. When you receive the book please journal it.
2. PM the next person in line for their address, so there'll be no delay when you're ready to ship.
3. Please note your thoughts about the book in a journal entry.
4. Journal again when you've shipped it.
5. Try to keep it no longer than a month. If life gets in the way and you'll need to keep it longer, please pm me.
6. Enjoy! :-)
7. [added 11/26] This book isn't in great shape even when starting out on its journey, and more people have joined - so if it really starts to fall apart, please let me know and I'll look for a replacement copy :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Aberpeter
12. lorettallen
13. jeskawest

Completed!

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/22/2011 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Off to penelopewanders in Switzerland to start the ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Here sort of by special request - read a review about this author and searched the forum for a ring... Eponine38 very kindly offered this. This arrives at the busiest time of the year for me, workwise, and I have two other rings in front of this! I'll try to get to this as soon as possible, but at least we know it has arrived safely and is here in the Swiss Alps. (hey, at this time of year, spending time in the Alps is very tempting...)
Thanks so very much for starting this ring rolling. I hope not to hold it up too long.

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, December 10, 2011

I'm not even sure where I read the review of this one - maybe on Goodreads- but at anyrate I was intrigued and sent out a message on the bookcrossing ring forum. Eponine38 very kindly offered to start up a ring with her/his copy and I was honored to receive it first. So now I'm probably going to have to purchase my own copy, as I'm going to want to lend this to people.
I really loved this book - generally fascinated by WWII anyway, I actually hadn't really read anything about the seige of Leningrad. (Although I did read Kaputt by Malaparte eons ago- this is cited by the author at the end. Strangely I remember it as having been about Naples, not Leningrad).
I found the two main characters very endearing, and did figure out who Vika turns out to be...
I definitely want to check out some other books by this author now...
Meanwhile I have the next address and will try to get this parcelled and posted soon. Thanks so much for making this available!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, December 12, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (12/12/2011 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

On its way up from the Alps to the lowlands. Enjoy! and thanks so much for making this super book available - I've already ordered a copy to give as a gift!

Journal Entry 6 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, December 19, 2011

Arrived here safely in a lovely wintery looking package with some nice stamps on it. Thanks for sending penelopwanders! And for the 'fragrant soap card' too! (very nifty :))
This sounds interesting, looking forward to read it. Thanks eponine38 for sharing the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 05, 2012

I really enjoyed this one, lots of action and humor. It felt like a light and easy read, but still dealing with subjects that are not.. there were quite some gruesome bits, with the cannibals and the story about Zoya (not really want to have those pictures in my head..). The characters are great, Lev and Kolya are such a funny couple. And Vika is amazing (and just a tiny bit scary :p). I wonder how much is based on the author's grandfather's story, or perhaps he just made everything up?

Mailing the book to a3ana soon.
(ps. thanks for the bookmark eponine38)

Journal Entry 8 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (1/6/2012 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Posting the book to a3ana.
Happy Reading!

Oh and Happy New Year everyone :)

Journal Entry 9 by a3ana at Weert, Limburg Netherlands on Saturday, January 14, 2012

I received the book a few days ago and I'll start reading today or tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you, Tsjara, for sending it and eponine38 for ringing the book!

Journal Entry 10 by a3ana at Weert, Limburg Netherlands on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Although I decided some time ago not to read any books on WWII anymore, I enjoyed this one very much. I can't even remember why I subscribed to the ring, but I'm happy I did. Benioff manages to write about a gruesome period and gruesome events in a way that makes it bearable and there is even some lightness and humor in the book. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, February 04, 2012

The book was freezing in my mail box. It's now warming at home. Thanks a3ana

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, February 12, 2012

What a beautiful way of dealing with so horrible times. I'm looking forward to reading again from Davis Benioff.

Journal Entry 13 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/14/2012 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to mysterious mummy in UK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingmysteriousmummywing at Shefford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Received yesterday will read and pass on asap.

Journal Entry 15 by wingmysteriousmummywing at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 09, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/9/2012 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Marsala today enjoy

Journal Entry 16 by wingmysteriousmummywing at Shefford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 09, 2012

I really enjoyed this book it was a very well written easy read. The subject matter was interesting, the characters well described and likeable, the plot was fantastic funny, sad and thrilling in equal measures.

Journal Entry 17 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 12, 2012

Arrived here safely today. I'm a bit overwhelmed by ringbooks at the moment (Why do they always arrive all at the same time?!), but I'll try to send it on within a month.

A wonderful book. Like most of the previous readers have mentioned before, it's not an easy or lighthearted subject the book deals with. But it still manages to capture humor, love and humanity beautifully.

Journal Entry 18 by marsala at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 30, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/30/2012 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 19 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 02, 2012

Just arrived; thanks for sending it through, Marsala. I'm in the middle to two books at the moment, so will need a few days before I can start on this. Am very much looking forward to making a start, though...

Journal Entry 20 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 12, 2012

What a lovely little book! It's quite impressive how it's mostly an easy to read, boys' own adventure book; but every now and then the horror of the War peeps through. The strangest thing is how life just keeps going on, despite the horrible privations and actions of the War: people still fall in love, boys still agonise over sex and rich people still get married in ridiculously opulent style.
Incidentally - was I the only one that saw distinct parallels between a sumptious wedding in the middle of a three-year siege and the bourgeois insensitivities that triggered the October Revolution in the first place?

I'd be very interested to read more of Benioff's now - very impressed with this introduction to his work. Thanks for sharing this, eponine38!

I have an address for goldenwattle already, so will send this book onwards today or tomorrow.

Update 14/04/12: have just sent the book by surface crawl to goldenwattle. Don't wait up, though - it might take a while to get Down Under...

Journal Entry 21 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

This book FLEW to Australia. It must have crawled into the 'wrong' mailbag. I'm pleased it did, because I'm moving house in about three weeks. I look forward to reading the book. Thank you RonOren for posting it.

Journal Entry 22 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, April 26, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/26/2012 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

An enjoyable read, but a little 'slow' in the first half (6 stars). The second half is better (8.5 stars). I wondered if Vika might be the grandmother mentioned in the first chapter, and she was. Life was hard during the siege; cold and hungry. At least for most of the population.

I have PJLBewdy's address, but I am confirming they are there and not away before I post the book.

9/5/2012: PJLBewdy is on holidays. I will wait for his return before I post the book.

14/5/2012: I posted the book to PJLBewdy today. He is still on holidays, but he sent me a PM to let me know his mail is being collected. I see he has released books in China and Turkey on his travels.

Journal Entry 23 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 04, 2012

Returned from holiday to find this book waiting for me. Thanks for sharing. I will look forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 24 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A well written book with great characters and a quirky, quite gritty plot. Glad I read it! Will send it travelling again soon.

Journal Entry 25 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/25/2012 UTC) at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia

Off to South Africa on the next leg of its travels - enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Saturday, July 07, 2012

The book arrived safely in Cape Town. Thanks for shipping it, PJLBewdy, and for hosting the ray, eponine38!

The coast is clear as far as ringbooks are concerned, for a change, so I should get stuck in fairly soon.

Journal Entry 27 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Thursday, July 12, 2012

David Benioff knows just how much humour and irony to add to the realistic horror of war to make the story palatable without ever risking tilting it into a comedy or farce: powerful storytelling at its best! I would not have been surprised to find this book on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list.

Allow me two excerpts:

"So many great Russians endured long stretches in prison. That night I learned I would never be a great Russian."

"Talent must be a fanatical mistress. She's beautiful; when you're with her, people watch you, they notice. But she bangs on your door at odd hours, she disappears for long stretches, and she has no patience for the rest of your existence: your wife, your children, your friends. She is the most thrilling evening of your week, but some day she will leave you for good. One night, after she's been gone for years, you will see her on the arm of a younger man, and she will pretend not to recognize you."

Journal Entry 28 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, July 13, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/13/2012 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

The book is on its way to Aberpeter in the USA. I posted it this morning, opting for surface mail. Quite often a registered package like this gets lucky and is included with items dispatched by airmail. Only time will tell.

International tracking number: RJ009649963ZA

Journal Entry 29 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Thursday, September 20, 2012

the book is here! I will start reading it this weekend.

Journal Entry 30 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

City of Thieves is Lev Beniov's coming of age story. With the Nazi seige of Leningrad as the backdrop, Lev is struggling day-to-day to survive. After being arrested for looting he is given a chance to live if he can successfully complete the Soviet colonel's orders... find a dozen eggs and bring them back within one week. With nother prisoner as his companion, the two set out to accomplish the seemingly impossible. Benioff adds a sprinkling of humor to the devastation of the seige and weaves a tale of survival, wit, and compassion into a page-turner I won't soon forget.

Journal Entry 31 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/1/2012 UTC) at Kirkland, Washington USA

Dropping the book off at the post office to continue its travels

Journal Entry 32 by jeskawest at Bellevue, Washington USA on Friday, November 09, 2012

Got this in the mail! Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 33 by jeskawest at Bellevue, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

A very well-told story of a pivotal week in the life of a seventeen-year-old boy (man?) during the siege of Leningrad. The main characters are described so well, I felt like I knew them, and I really enjoyed reading about them. The subject matter itself is difficult to read, but historical fiction is best when it is made up of the truth of what was really happening during that time. I also liked how the prologue leaves it up to the reader to decide how much is actually based on the author's grandfather and how much is fabricated.

Journal Entry 34 by jeskawest at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (6/10/2013 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

On it's way to oliviapoolside, as part of the General Lit VBB.

Journal Entry 35 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, June 15, 2013

Arrived today, thanks for sending it!