corner corner Under Pressure: Putting the Child Back In Childhood: Putting the Child Back into Childhood

by Carl Honore | Parenting & Families
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 10/25/2011

status (set by nice-cup-of-tea): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fantastic book

my email to author
Dear Carl

I have just finished reading "under pressure" which I absolutely loved. I read In Praise of Slow a few years back and this also resonated with me. Since reading in praise of slow, I have had two boys - Markus is just over 2 and Patrick is only 3 months old. Your book was so reassuring and gives parents the confidence to really do their own thing. Being an introverted bookworm who reads and reads, I thought that reading more baby and parenting books would give me the answers. Not true! I have found it most hard to really listen to my own instincts and to stop reading every weekly or monthly baby email without panicking!

You mention career women a few times, the argument being that we over-professionalize parenting. I wonder whether having children later in life / fertility issues also plays a role? Having "invested" so much time, money, energy and emotion into going through IVF or similar, is it any wonder that our new babies become projects? Son 1 was a long awaited ivf baby. Son 2 was a miraculous accident - and I already notice that I am slowing down and trusting myself more.

In short (sorry, seem to be rambling) - THANK YOU! I will be recommending this book further and certainly re-reading it. I try to slow down and just enjoy every minute with my boys. I write a lot about them on my blog and I also take a daily snapshot to record the minutaue of our lives. Both tasks really help me to slow down and live in the moment, without worrying about the next developmental step.

Must go, dear son no 2 is calling :-)
Best wishes