corner corner Odd and the Frost Giants (World Book Day edition)

Odd and the Frost Giants (World Book Day edition)
by Neil Gaiman | Children's Books
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 10/23/2011

status (set by Safrolistics): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, October 24, 2011

Illustrated by Mark Buckingham; specially written and published for World Book Day 2008. Kindly given to me by a non-BookCrossing friend.

12-year old Odd's father is dead, and he doesn't get along with his stepfather. When he runs away from home, he makes some surprising new acquaintances and ends up on a quest.

I think I'll offer this one for a bookring and see if there's any interest.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

International bookring now off to see the world!

Here are the instructions:

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book so we know it got to you safely.

2. VOLUNTARY - let's see if anyone reads this part! ;) If you're willing, please PM hyphen8 for my address and send me a postcard with some interesting stamps on it for my mom the stamp collector, especially if you're not in the US. (I tried doing a ring with an envelope for the used stamps at the back, but it stalled and I never got any of them, so I thought postcards sent to me might work better.) * thank you Scribacchina *

3. Read and send on within 1 month - or make a journal entry to let us know how it's going if you need to keep the book longer. Unfortunately sometimes life gets in the way of BookCrossing, but on the other hand, it's a short book so it shouldn't take too long to read.

4. Make a journal entry when you've finished - tell us what you thought!

5. Check back here to make sure the order hasn't changed, then PM the next person in line for an address. Even if you've mailed something to that person before, please double-check their mailing info and make sure they're still interested and able to participate.

6. Use whatever shipping method works best for you; if you're able to use delivery confirmation/tracking that's always nice.

Current order (subject to change):
*PLEASE* check before sending to the next person!
Note: as of July 2012, the list has been shuffled a bit due to the addition of bearyfriend and the sad removal of oppem.

Moriquen (Belgium, prefers EU mailing)
Snowflake22 (Czech Republic, prefers EU mailing)
R4Andre (Portugal, will ship within Europe)
Scribacchina (Portugal, will ship within Europe)
Cassandra2020 (UK, prefers EU shipping)
Lintulai (Finland, will ship internationally)
lunatum (Finland, will ship internationally)
carelaisa (Québec, Canada; will mail Canada/US)
k00kaburra (California, US only) - asked to be skipped
biisbsw (New York, US preferred)
Firegirl (Virginia, US; willing to ship internationally)
bearyfriend (Singapore, will ship internationally)
greenbadger (UK, will ship internationally)
Twinfather (Netherlands, will ship internationally)
KiwiinEngland (NZ, NZ/OZ postage preferred, will ship internationally if needed)
book-a-neer (Australia, NZ/OZ postage preferred)
safrolistics (UK) - Odd is here!
?
Back to hyphen8?

If you see a known staller on this list please send me a PM.

If you'd like to participate, post in the forum thread and send me a PM with your location and mailing preferences.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/19/2011 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out to Moriquen to start the bookring...and I'm counting this as a release for DragonGoddess's What's in a Name challenge. Oh, and maybe for NancyNova's December Christmas Challenge too!

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The book has arrived safe and sound. Thanks for sending it my way, hyphen8!

Journal Entry 5 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

This little book read like a charm. I would have liked it to have a little more body, sometimes the story seemed a bit thin. With barely a hundred pages the story was over before it really ever began. But still it is a charming little book, with a fun and uplifting tale. Thanks for sending it my way, hyphen! I've contacted Snowflake and I'll be sending this book out as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 6 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/11/2012 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

The book is on its way to the next reader. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by Snowflake22 at České Budějovice, Jihoceský kraj (South Bohemian Region) Czech Republic on Friday, January 13, 2012

book received safely. will read it as son as I have finished the book I'm on, I dont like reading more than one book at once. The book should be on its way to the next reader within a week.

Journal Entry 8 by Snowflake22 at České Budějovice, Jihoceský kraj (South Bohemian Region) Czech Republic on Monday, January 16, 2012

I really enjoyed reading this and also wish it could have been longer. Its a very cute story. I liked it especially because I have always had a fondness for tales of the Norse Gods.
I have contacted Scribacchina for an address.

Journal Entry 9 by Snowflake22 at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/31/2012 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sent on to the next in line, sorry for the slight delay, I hope it gets there soon.

Journal Entry 10 by R4Andre at Celorico da Beira, Guarda Portugal on Friday, February 10, 2012

Got it here! Will read.Thank you.

Journal Entry 11 by R4Andre at Celorico da Beira, Guarda Portugal on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sorry for the delay, I've been really busy and forgot the book. I read it now and I'm waitng for the adress of the next in line.

About the book:
A short entertaining book. Great for kids and grown-ups.

Journal Entry 12 by Scribacchina at Coimbra (cidade), Coimbra Portugal on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Arrived safe here, it was in the post today. Husband is already reading it and I should be able to pass it on sometime next week.
Thank you hyphen8 for sharing the book and thank you R4Andre for mailing it to me!
------------
ETA - Monday April 9th
OK, both me and my husband read it and loved it. Neil Gaiman is always a guarantee if good reading. The book is so small that I don't want to write too much in case I spoil it... but it fit me perfectly right now. Thanks! I have the address and will ship it this week.

Journal Entry 13 by Scribacchina at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 16, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/12/2012 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Odd is on his way to Cassandra2020. Of course he's traveling with one good leg, one very bad leg, and a wooden crutch (i.e. with the cheapest option) so he may take a little to get there -- but I hope it won't be too long.
(I mailed the book last week, although I only had the time to make this Release Note today. )

Journal Entry 14 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thank you hyphen8 & Scribacchina - will read ASAP and then move along

Journal Entry 15 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2012

What a lovely little book. It was specially written and published for World Book Day 2008 and tells the story of Odd, a little, lame boy who runs away from home and meets three creatures: a fox, a bear and an eagle. Together they journey to Asgard, home of the Norse Gods, to save it, and the world, from the Frost Giants.

How I wish I'd had this book as a child, I would have loved it then (to be fair, I loved it now - even though (as an adult) I don't usually read childrens books. I also wish that Neil Gaiman had been
commissioned to write Ragnarok for the myth series, he would have brought it all, vividly, to life unlike the dry version that AS Byatt wrote.

Journal Entry 16 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/5/2012 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

on it's way to the next happy bookcrosser :-)

Journal Entry 17 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The book arrived today, thanks Cassandra 2020!

Journal Entry 18 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Thursday, June 21, 2012

This was a nice children's story. Somehow I think children's books should always be read in the reader's mother tongue, although I'm already "grown-up", I think that even though I could perfectly well follow the story, I would've enjoyed it more in Finnish. However, reading a Gaiman book is never a waste of time :)

Journal Entry 19 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Friday, June 22, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/21/2012 UTC) at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland

Sent off to Lunatum, have fun!

Journal Entry 20 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Monday, June 25, 2012

The book arrived today. I have two ring books ahead of this one.

Journal Entry 21 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What a nice little fairy tale. I really enjoyed the book. Thanks for sharing the book with us.

Journal Entry 22 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/15/2012 UTC) at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland

I sent the book forward today.

Journal Entry 23 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Book got here today!

I have a couple of rings that came in this week - yep, it always happen like that...
Anyway, i should start the book somewhere next week and pass it along soon enough but it might take a bit longer than usual...

thanks lunatum for the extras with the book (stamps and teas)!

Journal Entry 24 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It was quite a short to read but I liked it a lot! Just enough characters and suspense to make it until the end of the book… and have a nice and fun ending. There’s not much I can say about it, I liked it and it was great to dwelve again in Neil Gaiman’s world.

I've pm'ed the BCer for her address and still waiting for it... so, as soon as I have it, I will mail the book!

EDIT: As of August 9th, it's now in the mail, to the next BCer!!

Journal Entry 25 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Monday, September 03, 2012

Safely here with me. Thanks for sending and including me in this! I will read as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 26 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/6/2012 UTC) at Endicott, New York USA

Mailed off to the next reader of the ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 27 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Arrived safe and sound, thank you!

Journal Entry 28 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 13, 2012

What a fun little read this was! Being so short it's hard to say anything without giving it away. Suffice to say, Norse gods as animals and a brave and smiling little boy make for a fun story. My husband wants to read this and then it'll be off to Singapore. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 29 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/31/2012 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

Happy Samhain/Halloween! My husband read and enjoyed so it's off to Singapore. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 30 by bearyfriend at Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Got it, thanks. it's a small book so should be quick in reading.

Journal Entry 31 by bearyfriend at Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Monday, December 24, 2012

Nice and quick read on Odd's adventure and his encounter with the Norse Gods and Frost Giant. Tomorrow is Christmas, and I will drop it off right after, sorry for taking so long.
Merry Christmas to you all and a wonderful year ahead.

Update 26/12: Odd is on his way to UK via the Rainbow Bridge. There might be delay because of the frosty season, but still hope you get to meet him soon :-)

Journal Entry 32 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 03, 2013

The ring has arrived with me, thank you bearyfriend and hyphen8.

Delightful tale of the crippled boy Odd, who runs away from home after his mother remarries, and meets up with strange companions: a fox, a bear and a one-eyed eagle. The animals turn out to be Norse Gods Loki, Thor and Odin who have been cast out of Asgard and transformed into beasts by the Frost Giants. It falls to Odd to help them reclaim their home. The book was written for World Book Day 2008.

Journal Entry 33 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/9/2013 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to Twinfather who is next in the ray. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 34 by Twinfather at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Arrived safely in Gouda. Almost finished The Affair by Lee Child so this arrival's timing is almost perfect.

Journal Entry 35 by Twinfather at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I don't want to give away any spoilers because of the shortness of the book, but Neil Gaiman wrote a lovely combination of fable and Norse saga.

Thanks hyphen8 for sharing and greenbadger for sending.

On its way to Kiwiland. Could take some time because of the bad leg and stick. ;-)

Journal Entry 36 by Twinfather at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 25, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/25/2013 UTC) at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

On its way to New Zealand.

Journal Entry 37 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Thanks for sending this book to me twinfather, and the postcard is great - very sunny and cheerful. Quite a contrast to the frost giants on the cover of the book.

Journal Entry 38 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A fun short read, with glimpses of Gaiman's fabulous writing however it was watered down too much to suit the young age group for my total enjoyment.

I liked the story, and the fact it is Nordic gods is great.

Journal Entry 39 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, February 18, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/18/2013 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Posting to Book-a-neer, the next reader for this bookring.

Journal Entry 40 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, February 25, 2013

Received this book today from KiwiInEngland. Thank you.

Have already read it. Really enjoyed it. :) :) :) Will be going to the library to look for other books by the author.

Journal Entry 41 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/28/2013 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Sent on his way to safrolistics in the UK.

Journal Entry 42 by Safrolistics at Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thanks very much, received in the post today. I've been having a bit of a Neil Gaiman-a-thon lately and am loving his writting. Hope I enjoy this one just as much.

Journal Entry 43 by Safrolistics at Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Friday, January 08, 2016

Wow, just realised how long this book has been with me. Read ages ago, but I'm only just getting back into Bookcrossing again.
let me know if you want to back, or I will pass it on in a suitable ly bookcrossing type of manner. X