corner corner Snow

Snow
by Tracy Lynn | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winghippoleinwing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 10/9/2011

status (set by k00kaburra): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, October 09, 2011

Publisher: Simon Pulse 2005
Paperbound Book, 224 pages

About the Book
Snow White, Rose Red

In a tiny Welsh estate, a duke and duchess lived happily, lacking only a child -- or, more importantly, a son and heir to the estate. Childbirth ultimately proved fatal for the young duchess. After she died, the duke was dismayed to discover that he was not only a widower, but also father to a tiny baby "girl." He vowed to begin afresh with a new wife, abandoning his daughter in search of elusive contentment.

Independent -- virtually ignored -- and finding only little animals and a lonely servant boy as her companions, Jessica is pale, lonely, and headstrong...and quick to learn that she has an enemy in her stepmother. "Snow," as she comes to be known, flees the estate to London and finds herself embraced by a band of urban outcasts. But her stepmother isn't finished with her, and if Jessica doesn't take control of her destiny, the wicked witch will certainly harness her youth -- and threaten her very life....

Journal Entry 2 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, October 09, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/11/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

wishlist-tag-game
--------------------------

Enjoy the book. Came from BetterWorldBooks as it's very expensive for me to send books from Finland :(

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Thanks very much - I think I'll enjoy this!

And I totally understand about the postage cost, although my mom always loves to get stamps from other countries. :)

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 23, 2011

A fun re-telling of the story of Snow White: this one has a bit of a steampunk flavor. I'll try to find a new home for it soon.

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, October 24, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/24/2011 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

I decided not to participate in k00kaburra's Mythology, Fairy Tales & Folklore Bookbox, but since I had to send a box in that direction anyway, I thought I'd include some books on the subject. Enjoy!

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Please make a journal entry and let the book's previous readers know it's safely in your hands.

Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 6 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Saturday, January 07, 2012

I'm so sorry; I thought that I updated these when they arrived!

The Mythology bookbox is being put together now, and I hope to get it in the mail next week!

I've had a copy of this book in Mt. To-Be-Read for a while now; I hope to get around to reading it (and the rest of this series) soon!

Journal Entry 7 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/25/2012 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding this to my Mythology, Fairy Tales & Folklore Bookbox

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 02, 2012

[I read and enjoyed this book a while back, so I'm leaving this well-traveled copy in the bookbox, but I wanted to add my comments.]

I enjoyed the book, though it wasn't without flaws; the pacing seemed very uneven, and the way the focus shifted between characters also seemed a bit off. But I liked most of the characters, especially the minstrel/mirror-holder Alan and the Lonely Ones (who should have had their own book - I'd have liked to see more of them). I appreciated the twist on the evil-stepmother/wicked-witch, too; her character certainly had motives for trying to secure her position - "You try being wise and good and getting a second husband when you are forty" - but her methods started out unpleasantly and got much, much worse.

I even enjoyed the games the author played, presenting so many different possible romantic interests for Snow; I was happy enough with the book's resolution, but any of the other pairings could have worked, too, and it kept me guessing.

As for the more technological, mad-scientist spin on magic/witchcraft, I got a kick out of that; when the Clockwork Man turned up I actually grinned (and added him to my mental list of who's-going-to-get-the-girl candidates - though by that point I was rather hoping that some of the guys would pair up; Clockwork/Raven, anyone? And I have definite suspicions about Henry and Edgington!).

There *was* a touch of anti-climax about the resolution - even Snow says "all over, with a whimper... no perfect, happy ending". I thought it worked out about as well as could be expected, though, and on a hopeful note. I like to imagine that, in addition to the happy couples that seem to have emerged by the ending, the gang goes on to become a successful team of international detectives, ably supported by gadgeteer-genius Clockwork Man...

[There isn't a dedicated TV Tropes page for this book, but I did find one for the entire Once Upon A Time series; it lists the titles in the series, with links to the tropes about the original stories. Might be of interest!]

Journal Entry 9 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Saturday, April 14, 2012

This little book made a stop in Aurora, CO as part of k00kaburra's Mythology, Fairy Tales & Folklore bookbox

I have read this re-telling of Rose Red, and although I don't remember everything, I believe it was an enjoyable read. my copy of Snow

Journal Entry 10 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Monday, May 28, 2012

This book came back in my Mythology, Fairy Tales & Folklore Bookbox

Journal Entry 11 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/21/2012 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

sent to D. P. of Hermitage, PA to fulfill a request on Paperbackswap.com!