corner corner Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone
by Abraham Verghese | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingNancyNovawing of Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on 10/8/2011

status (set by time-traveler): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, October 08, 2011

from the IVL book sale. TLC book club book

Journal Entry 2 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 18, 2012

TLC book club; wonderful book mostly centered around growing up in Ethiopia, as semi-orphaned twins who are taken in by two doctors practicing at Missing Hospital. Marion is the narrator & his twin Shiva was connected via a blood vessel in the head to him at birth. Their mother, a nun, dies during childbirth, never naming the father, but everyone knows that it's the British surgeon in the same hospital, Thomas Stone. When the boys reach adulthood, Shiva chooses to stay in Ethiopia with his adoptive mother Hema, learning gyn surgery. His twin, Marion, chooses to go to the US, and becomes a successful trauma surgeon - and also looks for his biological father, Thomas Stone, who has become a successful liver transplant surgeon. In the only unbelievable part of the story, Marion contracts Hepatitis and needs a liver transplant from a living donor - which has never been done and his brother Shiva leaves Ethiopia to be the donor. Shiva dies of complications from an AV malformation in his brain, which is probably what connected the twins at birth.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at Peekskill, New York USA on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (2/18/2012 UTC) at Peekskill, New York USA

A Wishlist book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingtime-travelerwing at Westchester, New York USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Thank you so much for this wishlist book, NancyNova. I've heard it's an excellent book and I'm looking forward to diving into it very soon. You are so generous!

Journal Entry 5 by wingtime-travelerwing at Westchester, New York USA on Thursday, April 26, 2012

Excellent book! The writing was terrific. I am glad I did not read your review first NancyNova, as I enjoyed being surprised by the various twists. I will admit that it took me a while to get into it - I read a third of the book and almost put it down. Once the twins got to be young teenagers, the story changed dramatically for me and the book became a page turner. Thanks again for sending it to me. I am going to wild release it soon so others can enjoy it.

To be released for:
Booklady331's 2012 Keep Them Moving Challenge
Secretariat's Never Judge a Book by its Cover Release Challenge, 2nd Quarter (week 17, trees on the cover).

Journal Entry 6 by wingtime-travelerwing at Broadway in Nyack, New York USA on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/28/2012 UTC) at Broadway in Nyack, New York USA

On a bench in front of Juliet Stewart - 79 So. Broadway.