corner corner Saga: A Novel of Medieval Iceland

Saga: A Novel of Medieval Iceland
by Jeff Janoda | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winghippoleinwing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 10/7/2011

status (set by megan_viavia): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 07, 2011

Publisher: Academy Chicago Publishers (15 July 2008)
Paperback: 360 pages

Book Description
When a nameless Norseman sat down to write the "Saga of the People of Eyri" in the thirteenth century, the brutal story was even then already centuries old. Today this ancient tale is masterfully retold in Jeff Janoda's SAGA: A NOVEL OF MEDIEVAL ICELAND, a rich historical novel of the first Icelandic settlements.

SAGA tells the story of the savage rituals of feud and scarifice brought by the settlers from their Norweigian motherland as well as their new, competing beliefs in a democratic legal assembly and a code of restraint.

When Thorolf the Viking trades his family lands to spite his son, Arnkel, the ruthless Norse chieftain vows to regain them at all costs. Robbed of his rightful inheritance, Arnkel begins a venomous feud with his neighbors and with rival chieftain Snorri, a lawless dispute destined to end in betrayal and death.

Janoda's characters are eloquently wrought,their passions and pagan beliefs brought to life in a tale over a thousand years old. His delicate hand renders fantastical elements like spirits and elves as vividly as their human counterparts, illuminating the harshness of life in a society on the brink of modernity, yet isolated in the farthest reaches of the planet.

Journal Entry 2 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 07, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/10/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

wishlist-tag-game
--------------------------

Vanuit een ander land vertrokken, maar toch op weg naar België.
Nog heimwee naar Ijsland, dus altijd leuk als iemand een boek van daar of met het land als onderwerp op een verlanglijstje staan heeft ;)

Geniet ervan!

Journal Entry 3 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, October 20, 2011

This looks like a wonderful book that I will enjoy! Thanks for 'sending' it to me, hippolein. (I've put a sticker in it with the BCID on it!)
Dikke knuffels vanuit het *ahum* ... 'moederland'! ;)

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I finished this book last night and I really liked it. The story always has a nice pace and you feel like all of this could have actually happened. Janoda gives you a real look into a society that is in a constant struggle to survive the harsh surroudings (and each other). The ending was a bit of an anti-climax, but it suited the story very well! Thanks for sending this my way, hippolein!

Journal Entry 5 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/27/2013 UTC) at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

I have given this book to an interested friend. She will be travelling to Indonesia soon and will read and release the book while on her travels!

Journal Entry 6 by megan_viavia at Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta Indonesia on Saturday, February 08, 2014

I found this book in Viavia's guest house when i had a free lance job there and it's just make my day to know that this book has been travel through countries and hopefully keep traveling. i'm still have some books to read list. probably i could finish it soon and gonna leave it in my next backpacking trip country. :)