corner corner Nebula Award Stories 8

Nebula Award Stories 8
by Isaac Asimov | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Moriquen of Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, October 07, 2011

status (set by DoZki): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, October 07, 2011

"Introduction, "So Why Aren't We Rich?" by Isaac Asimov; A Meeting With Medusa (1971) by Arthur C. Clarke; Shaffery Among the Immortals (1972) by Frederik Pohl; Patron of the Arts (1972) by William Rotsler; When It Changed (1972) by Joanna Russ; On the Downhill Side (1972) by Harlan Ellison; The Fifth Head of Cerberus (1972) by Gene Wolfe; When We Went to See the End of the World (1972) by Robert Silverberg; Goat Song (1972) by Poul Anderson."

(reserved for Thalasse)

Journal Entry 2 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, November 04, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/4/2011 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On its way to Thalasse who won my rabck in honour of my 1000th registered book. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by Thalasse at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Monday, November 07, 2011

The book arrived safely today and brightened this gloomy November day. I hope the stories are readable, as Nebula is a distinguished award. :-) Thank you again for organizing the lottery!

Journal Entry 4 by Thalasse at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Most of the stories were okay but slightly boring. There were interesting story ideas (like "The Fifth Head of Cerberus") but the writing style was mostly tedious and lacked excitement.

One story I loved and one I hated. The gem of the collection was defenitely "When it Changed" by Joanna Russ. No wonder it won the Nebula! It was wonderfully succint story describing a fundamental change in the society of the protagonists. Just compare it to the previous story ("Patron of the Arts") in which women were objects, literally and nothing more. I couldn't force myself to read it through, ugh.

Journal Entry 5 by Thalasse at Finncon in Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/20/2012 UTC) at Finncon in Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland

The book will be released at the Bookcrossing table at Finncon. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Friday, July 20, 2012

Caught this paper back from Finncon 2012. I tend to like these kind of collections of science fiction stories! Many thanks for this one! :)

Edit: seuraavaksi Kasenkalle... :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, June 23, 2013

I usually enjoy these kind of older but timeless Sci-Fi short stories with classic themes. These eight stories were introduced by the master himself, Isaac Asimov. On the basis of these strong introductions (and Nebula Awards) I probably had too high hopes. For example, I was very fascinated by the introduction of "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" but found the story itself quite tedious. I agree with Thalasse on "When it Changed" being the best story of this collection.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by wingerpaxwing at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 24, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/24/2013 UTC) at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Lopultakin kirja pääsee matkaan! Lukuiloa ja hyvää kesää, Kasenka!

Journal Entry 9 by kasenka at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala Finland on Friday, June 28, 2013

The book arrived yesterday, thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by kasenka at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (5/7/2014 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I sent this book yesterday to Thalasse who will release it at Finncon 2014.

Journal Entry 11 by Thalasse at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Monday, May 12, 2014

The book is here (again)!

Journal Entry 12 by Thalasse at Finncon 2014 in Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Released 2 wks ago (7/12/2014 UTC) at Finncon 2014 in Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland

The book will be released at Finncon 2014. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by DoZki at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Picked up at Finncon 2014, love most of Asimov's work. Hopefully this isn't dissapointing!