corner corner Freedom

Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by mafarrimond of Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on 10/6/2011

status (set by elstaplador): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 06, 2011

This is the story of the Berglunds, their son Joey, their daughter Jessica and their friend Richard Katz. It is about how we use and abuse our freedom; about the beginning and ending of love; teenage lust; the unexpectedness of adult life; why we compete with our friends; how we betray those closest to us; and why things almost never work out as they ‘should’. It is a story about the human heart, and what it leads us to do to ourselves and each other.

Journal Entry 2 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 06, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/6/2011 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

"F" in the ABC Ring.

Journal Entry 3 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 10, 2011

Excellent. Thank you very much. I will read this and pass it on.

Journal Entry 4 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Did not like any of the characters as people but their stories wove together excellently.

Thank you for sending this book. It is not one I would have picked for myself and I am so glad that I read it.

Journal Entry 5 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 31, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/31/2011 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

On the way to the next person in the roundabout

Journal Entry 6 by Snowboarderin at Hückeswagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Get it because of the ABC-Bookring and just started reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by Snowboarderin at Hückeswagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Sometimes it was a little bit strange and I didn't really like the people but it wasn't too bad ;-)

Journal Entry 8 by Snowboarderin at Hückeswagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/6/2012 UTC) at Hückeswagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Will soon arrive in Berlin :)

Journal Entry 9 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, January 12, 2012

book arrived today

Journal Entry 10 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I enjoyed reading this book, though I could have done with about 100 pages less of the political ramblings. :-) I particularly liked the 2 autobiographical parts within the novel. It made the writing more interesting.

Journal Entry 11 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/25/2012 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

Forgot to make the release notes. The book should be almost at its next destination. It was mailed out on Jan 25.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Book arrived safely yesterday.

Must admit, that I never heard of this author and from the blurp on the back cover it isn't a book that would be a first choice to go home with me.
But, that's what I like about rings like these: meeting books I'd normally leave alone.

Actually started reading: I was ringless when it arrived.

Journal Entry 13 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'm glad that I came across this book. That's one. The second is, that it is a page turner, like the blurp on the back cover said it would be.
BUT despite I kept reading, I was not very fond of it.

I did not like the characters, none of them. That is very unusual, because normally I find one or two in a book that I like, no matter how I dislike the rest. But here that wasn't the case.

The book kept me reading because the subject / stories that are told about the lives of the Berglund family are so recognizable. It isn't necessary to have experienced anything in your own life, you just know / recognize.
Having said that, I think there were too many pages in the book and although there may be made a deliberate choice to build the story lines like they are now, I did not like it very much. It got me confused from time to time.
What I disliked most in the part where Patty is talking, where we get the fruits of the assignment her therapist gave her, is that there is a mentioning of 'the autobiographer'. Once that is okay, twoce too, but so often, no thank you. Call her by her name, let her 'speak' for real and do not refer to her in third person even when her diary / story of her life told by her is involved.

Journal Entry 14 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, February 12, 2012

I've sent a PM to Into-the-Blue to ask if I can send this book to her already or if I should wait a bit till the end of the month.

Journal Entry 15 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/27/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This book will continue its journey tomorrow.
Safe travels 'little' book & happy reading, Into-the-Blue!

Journal Entry 16 by wingInto-the-Bluewing at Stade, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, March 01, 2012

Received today with thanks. Well, this seems to be ... different. What the other readers wrote makes me wonder if I will like this. Anyway, I will find out...

March 21st. 2012:
Well, I am sorry to say so but I did not read this book. I started reading it a couple of times but found it a bit difficult to read and not interesting. So after the 5th attempt I stopped. Sorry about that. I hope the next readers will enjoy it more.

Now it will travel to the new participant Avigail in Israel. Please pass this on to ZAS when you are finished with it. Thanks.

Journal Entry 17 by wingInto-the-Bluewing at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/21/2012 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany

to the next participant of the roundabout. Please pass it on to ZAS then.

Journal Entry 18 by ababaigalit at MODIIN, Modiin Israel on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

well the book is in Israel. I' ll start reaading it tommorow. Thanks for allowing me to be part of this bookspiral.

14.04.2012:
===========
Well sorry people it is a book that is not my cup of tea. It is the first book that I give up. Well the prose and the writting was ok, but as I read it I felt depressing.
What bothered me the most was that he seems to want us to dislike his characters and does little to make them interesting. Franzen's prose is masterful and his voice is unique but i need more to capture my interest. I had no one to root for. Flawed characters were authentic, yet totally unlikable. I just didn't care about the outcome of their lives or petty struggles. I had no impulse to keep turning the page. I had to force myself to finish, but at the end I couldn't continue to read.

Journal Entry 19 by ababaigalit at Thrapston, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/3/2012 UTC) at Thrapston, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Well the book continues it's journey. I hope you will enjoy more than I did.

Journal Entry 20 by ababaigalit at Thrapston, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/3/2012 UTC) at Thrapston, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Well the book continues it's journey. I hope you will enjoy more than I did.

Journal Entry 21 by 3vie at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, June 25, 2012

Received today. Looking forward to trying it as ive never even heard of this author before.

Journal Entry 22 by 3vie at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2012

I am sorry to say that I just couldnt get into this book, and I had to give up. I didnt like the writing style and didnt care what happened to any of the characters. I hope that the next reader enjoys it more than I did.

Journal Entry 23 by 3vie at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/2/2012 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending to the next reader in the roundabout. Enjoy ;0)

Journal Entry 24 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 09, 2012

Wow, another book I wouldn't normally pick up. Interesting....

Journal Entry 25 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, August 03, 2012

I don't read the journal entries before reading the book but if I had I might not have read it, if I had I might have given up when I felt like it. I didn't like the characters and I especially didn't like Patty calling herself "the autobiographer". I didn't really get the freedom idea. Unfortunately not a successful book for me.

Journal Entry 26 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (8/15/2012 UTC) at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

On it's way in the ring. Sorry I've taken so long to post it. I'd take all my bookcrossing stuff home from work and then left the book there without the address.

ETA - Yes, I'm sorry, Mylo is guilty. I can't get him to stop biting. I thought it was just me he picked on until he took a liking to this book. Hopefully he'll stop when his baby teeth fall out - he was away from his mummy too early...

Journal Entry 27 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, August 18, 2012

With me now thanks - next on my TBR. Tell me is it coincidence you have a new kitten and this book has pin prick marks lol ;)

Journal Entry 28 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Never would have picked up this book to read but it was nice to read something different. A family much more mixed up than mine :)) Like others found it a little difficult to read, the fact is I found some of it a little repetitive and boring but did some speed reading on these parts.

@earthcaroleanne Pleased Mylo enjoyed it -aww he's so sweet :)

Journal Entry 29 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (9/7/2012 UTC) at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

On it's way again.

Journal Entry 30 by wingtrikwing at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The book arrived safely - thanks for sending and sharing!
I will read it as soon as possible, but it looks like it will take some time...

28.10.2012
It's done. Finally. As expected it took some time reading this book. To be honest I needed a break in between and read another book. Sorry for holding up the roundabout.
Funny enough this book was recommended to me by a friend at the beginning of September - and there it was in my hands some days later :o)
Even though it took me quite long and a break to read this book I cannot really tell how I liked it. I liked it in some way (otherwise I would not have read it to the end): The characters and their stories were well elaborated (even though I could not connect deeply to one of them). On the other hand I did not like it: I could not connect to either of the characters and their way of living and making decisions. So this book leaves me kind of confused...

Journal Entry 31 by wingtrikwing at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/29/2012 UTC) at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

This book finally continues its journey... Enjoy!

Journal Entry 32 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Safely received - thank you!

Journal Entry 33 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Another attempt at the Great American Novel. It was good, but other books have since taken its place in my heart. No, that's a lie: it never really got near my heart. It made me smile and laugh and cringe, and occasionally wince in recognition; technically, I think it was brilliant; it was certainly no hardship to finish it - but. But it never quite got there, for me.

It is the story of a family. It is the story of the varied and interesting ways in which a family can fall apart, on account of being composed of a varied and interesting collection of human beings. It punctures egos left, right and centre. It gets into the heads of most of the main characters, which is something I like in fiction. (Although Franzen didn't bother with Jessica, the daughter, and maybe I'd have been more interested if he had.)

3 out of 5, I think. It is a good book, but I didn't love it.

Journal Entry 34 by elstaplador at Owner of the Ring!, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 25, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/25/2013 UTC) at Owner of the Ring!, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases

Sending back to mafarrimond. Thank you to you and everyone who took part in the ABC roundabout - it was a lot of fun!