corner corner Twinkie, Deconstructed

Twinkie, Deconstructed
by Steve Ettlinger | Nonfiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/4/2011

status (set by Moody-Blue): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I found this fair-condition softcover at the Used Book Superstore. Subtitled "My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods Are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined), and Manipulated into What America Eats", it looks to be more than I may want to know about snack foods {wry grin}.

Later: A really clever way to delve into the sources of many common food ingredients - the obvious ones (flour, sugar) and the not-so-obvious ones (I'd never given much thought to where baking soda came from - even though I grew up in a part of Wyoming not far from a major source!). The author approaches each ingredient from the how-it-gets-into-a-Twinkie viewpoint, but of course many other foods use the same things, so the discussion sometimes wanders delightfully far afield.

Some of the ingredients are surprises, as much for what they are - the bleach used to bleach the flour, for example - as for where they are made, and in some cases the secrecy with which the manufacture is surrounded. The vitamins used to enrich the flour after other processing has stripped it of nearly all the nutrients it began with had to come from somewhere as well, another aspect I'd never thought about.

There's a chapter on the currently-sensitive topic of corn syrup, as contrasted with dextrose, glucose, and high fructose corn syrup; one on the Monsanto-treated Roundup-resistant soybeans from which soy lecithin and other ingredients come; and one on eggs, including a mention of a huge facility devoted to breaking eggs en masse (somehow I assumed that any industry that needed lots of fresh eggs would have its own egg-breaking process, but no).

And there's more - a lot more... Not only did it make me look at Twinkies differently, but it gave me a whole new respect for (and a bit of fear of!) the ingredient-industry in general.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 07, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/7/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book into MaryZee's Biographies of Things bookbox. I'll be handing the box off to next-in-line eponine38 on Friday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 17, 2012

Taken from Biographies of Things box.

RIP MaryZee.
----------------------------------------------
1/8/14: Not quite finished reading yet, but offering it in debbie4osu's Nonfiction VBB, Round 6. I'll be back with a review soon, and it will be ready to travel to the next reader.
-------------------------------------------
7/2015: offered in booklady331's Nonfiction VBB (and I'm still too lazy to write a review at the moment...)

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, October 08, 2015

So much information! I'm afraid some of it went over my head (should have paid more attention in chemistry class :-) but an interesting read nonetheless.

I never was crazy about Twinkies myself, but loved its chocolate siblings, Devil Dogs and Ring Dings. (Of course, after reading this, I realize there may not have been any actual chocolate in those products!).

The author did a tremendous amount of research and traveling to bring us this detailed report, one Twinkie ingredient at a time. Fascinating and frightening at the same time. I was astounded at the complex processes and fancy machinery that are required to produce some of these ingredients.

A long-time label reader, I now know which of the often tongue-twisting names are bad and which are relatively harmless.

Wish I could afford to shop exclusively at Whole Foods.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, October 08, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (10/8/2015 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to waterfalling via booklady331's Nonfiction VBB. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingwaterfallingwing at Rockledge, Florida USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Received in today's mail. Thanks for the extra book label and bookmark!

Journal Entry 7 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, June 12, 2017

Started a couple of times and just lost interest. Time to move it on.

Journal Entry 8 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, June 12, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (6/12/2017 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Sent on as requested from the NonFic VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Looks like a good one, thanks.

Journal Entry 10 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Looks like a good one, thanks.