corner corner It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita

Journal Entry 1 by Lintulai on Tuesday, October 04, 2011

In It Sucked and Then I Cried, Heather tells, with trademark wit, the heartfelt, unrelentingly honest story of her battle with postpartum depression and all the other minor details of pregnancy and motherhood that no one cares to mention. Like how boring it can be to care for someone whose primary means of communication is through her bowels. And how long it can possibly take to reconvene the procedure that got you into this whole parenthood mess in the first place. And how you sometimes think you can't possibly go five more minutes without breathing in that utterly irresistible and totally redeemable fresh baby smell.

It Sucked and Then I Cried is a brave cautionary tale about crossing over that invisible line to the other side (the parenting side), where everything changes and it only gets worse. But most of all, it's a celebration of a love so big it can break your heart into a million pieces.

Journal Entry 2 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Saturday, November 26, 2011

For years I've been following the popular dooce.com blog online. Her writing style is very recognizable and it seems she doesn't care about the whole online/offline division of the textual world. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, had some good laughs here and there, but I somehow got the feeling that I would've gotten more out of it if I was a mother myself, too. Part of what makes a book really good is the chance to identify and feel with the author or the characters, and now I felt a bit left out most of the time. Still, I enjoyed reading this book as a piece of writing - it really stands out because of the style.

Journal Entry 3 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/30/2011 UTC) at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland

The book sent forward to Annimanni via SmartPost, as a part of the European non-fiction VBB. I hope it arrives safely! Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, December 04, 2011

The book arrived safely to the SmartPost point at our local supermarket. Thanks for posting, Lintulai! Can't wait to start reading as I'm sure I'll find plenty to identify with...

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 20, 2013

Many readers have critisized this book for being just a printed version of Armstrong's blog, but as I haven't followed that, it didn't bother me. I found much to identify with, even though I don't suffer from the same illness and have had an easy child. Nevertheless, motherhood is never just sunshine and Armstrong is very brave to write about both the good and the bad.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/23/2013 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

On its way to Lahti.

Journal Entry 7 by tuittupeppi at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The book returned to Lahti, thank you very much Annimanni. I look forward to reading this book, sounds interesting. I'll revert...