corner corner At the Bottom of the River (Plume)

At the Bottom of the River (Plume)
by Jamaica Kincaid | Literature & Fiction
Registered by eicuthbertson of Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Monday, October 03, 2011

status (set by UrbanCoffeeCo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by eicuthbertson from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Monday, October 03, 2011

Apparently very loosely autobigraphical.
From the publisher -
Jamaica Kincaid's inspired, lyrical short stories

Reading Jamaica Kincaid is to plunge, gently, into another way of seeing both the physical world and its elusive inhabitants. Her voice is, by turns, naively whimsical and biblical in its assurance, and it speaks of what is partially remembered partly divined. The memories often concern a childhood in the Caribbean--family, manners, and landscape--as distilled and transformed by Kincaid's special style and vision.

Kincaid leads her readers to consider, as if for the first time, the powerful ties between mother and child; the beauty and destructiveness of nature; the gulf between the masculine and the feminine; the significance of familiar things--a house, a cup, a pen. Transfiguring our human form and our surroundings--shedding skin, darkening an afternoon, painting a perfect place--these stories tell us something we didn't know, in a way we hadn't expected.
About the Author
Jamaica Kincaid was born in St. John's, Antigua. Her books include At the Bottom of the River, Annie John, Lucy, The Autobiography of My Mother, and My Brother. She lives with her family in Vermont.

Journal Entry 2 by eicuthbertson at Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Monday, January 16, 2012

Magical writing; while reading I kept wishing I could hear someone read this aloud.

Journal Entry 3 by eicuthbertson at Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Monday, January 16, 2012

This book is now on its way to shnedwards.

Journal Entry 4 by wingshnedwardswing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, March 08, 2012

It's here! Thank you eicuthbertson. And thank you for the RABCK, the bookplates, the bookmark and the card!

Journal Entry 5 by wingshnedwardswing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, May 26, 2012

Alternately baffling and beautiful.

Journal Entry 6 by wingshnedwardswing at Urban Coffee Company, Church St in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, May 26, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/26/2012 UTC) at Urban Coffee Company, Church St in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

At the meetup.

Thank you for visiting the website. If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome.
Please make as few or as many comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose.
Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us.
If you would like to know what happens to the book after you have passed it on, then do join - it's free, private and it's fun.

Journal Entry 7 by wingUrbanCoffeeCowing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Not taken from the meetup, so now available on the bookshelf on the first floor.

Journal Entry 8 by wingUrbanCoffeeCowing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2012

This book is no longer available, so marked as Travelling pending another journal entry.