corner corner Never Stop Pushing: My Life from a Wyoming Farm to the Olympic Medals Stand

Never Stop Pushing: My Life from a Wyoming Farm to the Olympic Medals Stand
by Rulon Gardner | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by erishkigal of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 10/2/2011

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, October 02, 2011

Autographed copy.

Amazon Editorial Review

Never Stop Pushing is a motivational autobiography by Olympic Greco-Roman champion wrestler Rulon Gardner (Gold Medal, 2000; Bronze Medal, 2004). This inspiring memoir comes from one of the world's most remarkable athletes who achieved arguably the greatest upset in individual sports history when he defeated the Russian Alexander Karelin — three-time Olympic champ, undefeated and unscored upon for a decade before his match with Gardner — in the 2000 Gold Medal match. Rulon Gardner tells the story of his impoverished upbringing as one of nine children in a close-knit Mormon family on a farm in Wyoming, where in performing unceasing chores he developed tremendous strength at an early age. Gardner writes about his struggles in school made arduous by learning disabilities that have challenged him his whole life. Also, after winning his Gold Medal, we read how this champion survived a snowmobile accident that marooned him outdoors for eighteen hours in high country. Rulon Gardner recovered from this and went on to defend his Gold Medal at Athens in 2004—yet another comeback from this athlete who was supposed to simply fade away.

I hate releasing books unread, but this worked for the monopoly square we landed on, and I hadn't time~so I'll have to look for another copy....

Journal Entry 2 by erishkigal at Stadium Trax Station, U of U in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, October 02, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/2/2011 UTC) at Stadium Trax Station, U of U in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

left by the ticket machine, on the heading downtown side~~in a bc baggie, in case the storm arrives

This is a Bookcrossing Monopoly "Planes and Trains" release~

to the finder of this book
Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels around from reader to reader.

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild!"

And if you're curious about this strange game we're playing, you can find more info here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-play.html

Journal Entry 3 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, October 02, 2011

'Planes and Trains,' planes and trains... "what,' I wondered, 'to do for this release? Bally might enjoy going up to the flightline or Air Museum up at Hill (AFB), but it's tech week, and I haven't time to take him. LOL, I'd love to hop on Amtrak and really travel, but there's certainly no time for that, nor $$$ either.....

Well, it finally dawned on me....there is TRAX, Salt Lake's light rail.....

Journal Entry 4 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, October 02, 2011

When I moved to SLC, the first TRAX line was running, and the push was on to get the second open in time for the 2002 Winter Olympics. This line would run from Downtown ~home of the Medals Plaza (where all the great concerts were), the Figure skating venue, the Houses of all the nations, and pubs and parties everywhere~~ to Rice-Eccles Stadium where the Opening and Closing Ceremonies were held.

Journal Entry 5 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

So Bally and I talked it over (;-p), and decided to take the TRAX up to visit Olympic Plaza. And we decided to take an Olympic book along to release. OK, Rulon was a Summer athlete, but hey, an Olympian is an Olympian, He's a Gold-medal Olympian, and a local boy to boot (originally from neighboring Wyoming, now a Utahan). Besides, Bally thought maybe he could get a pointer or three on how to build some muscle in those skinny arms of his.

Journal Entry 6 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

We TRAXxed up to the Plaza,where we enjoyed revisiting the Olympic Torch and the Hoberman Arch (which I was lucky enough to see in all it's irising action~~I don't remember who was being medaled that night, but the Bare Naked Ladies were performing!).

We didn't get to see the museum though :( It was Sunday, and this is Utah.

Journal Entry 7 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

As we tried to decide just where to leave Rulon's book, 'the boys' had their picture taken with images of several winter athletes.

Journal Entry 8 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

And in front of Hoberman's Arch.

Journal Entry 9 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, October 09, 2011

Since I had been a volunteer at Canada House, it seemed appropriate to wear my Canada tee for this release. But there was no one to take my pic with Bally and the book :-(

So I took off the tee, so at least it could be pictured with Bally, connecting him to 2002 :-)

Do notice Bally's bicep curls~~he's discovering they are tougher than he imagined!

Journal Entry 10 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, October 09, 2011

After re-dressing, I left "Never Stop Pushing..." by the hockey player, and walked back down to take the return TRAX.....but by the time I got there there wind was blowing fiercely, and the dark clouds were no longer at the other end of the valley. Fearing the book would be damaged in the storm, I walked back up, grabbed the book, and released it under cover at the station. Still exposed, but not nearly so much so.

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, April 29, 2013

Picked up book in the weather planning to re-release it; somehow got lost in my room for a while (~2 years). Found it cleaning today; will send it on its merry way.