corner corner The Youngest Hero

The Youngest Hero
by Jerry B. Jenkins | Audiobooks
Registered by wingiwillrejoicewing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 9/30/2011

status (set by LittleWhiteBird): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingiwillrejoicewing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, September 30, 2011

Received as a gift from meheyjude in New York, who is not currently BookCrossing. Great story!

~~~

From the back cover:

Jerry B. Jenkins, the author of Hometown Legend (also a Warner Bros. movie), returns with the story of a boy who has been bestowed a gift that presents the challenge of a lifetime, and of the mother determined to help him become THE YOUNGEST HERO.

Miriam Woodell realizes that the man she married, though charming and athletic, is gripped by a dangerous darkness. She has no choice but to save herself and Elgin, her young son -- leaving rural MIssissippi for the big, cold city of Chicago.

Strong, resolute, and determined, Miriam struggles to survive. Meanwhile, Elgin pursues a seemingly impossible dream. Fueled by the lessons his father taught him, he plays ball on the concrete streets and even sets up a batting cage in the basement, using a decrepit, malfunctioning pitching machine to teach himself to hit.

By spring, Elgin is ready to find a team. By the end of the summer, everyone will be talking about the eleven-year-old who plays baseball like a high school star -- a prodigy on his way to greatness, despite staggering odds.

Yet Elgin must still come to terms with his father, whose life has reached a dead end. With a new man entering Miriam's life and scouts wooing Elgin, mother and son must learn painful lessons about themselves, about each other, and about the people they are forced to trust.

~~~

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read & enjoy, keep, or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels around from reader to reader.

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left "in the Wild!"

P.S. If you do decide to join, please consider listing me, iwillrejoice, as referring you. Thanks. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 2 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/8/2011 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

RABCK for booklady331, who I'll be meeting for the first time. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Received at a meet up this afternoon. Great to meet you, iwillrejoice. Looking forward to more times.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, February 13, 2012

Currently listening to this book in my car.

From Publishers Weekly
Jenkins's goal in high school was to be a professional baseball player, so it's not surprising that the coauthor of the popular Left Behind series and numerous "as told to" baseball autobiographies would pen this light yarn of a young prodigy who makes it to the major leagues. Elgin Woodell comes by his talent honestly: his daddy, Neal, was once a major league prospect. But with Neal in the Alabama State Penitentiary, Elgin's mother, Miriam, is left to raise their 10-year-old son on her own, moving from Hattiesburg, Miss., to Chicago to escape the stigma of her divorce and her husband's bad reputation. Elgin hones his talent on the streets playing fast pitch and trying to fit into local leagues that are correct for his age group but not his talent. Success, however, is just around the corner. Fans of the Left Behind series will recognize Jenkins's trademark touches of humor, as well as his predisposition to be long on dialogue and short on characterization. There's a nice romance between Miriam and Lucas Harkness, the owner of Lucky's Secondhand Shop. Although Elgin's raw talent is believable for this type of tale, his precocious wisdom is unlikely. Like Hometown Legend, much of the book reads like it was made for the screen (and with Jenkins's new entertainment company transforming several of his novels to film, perhaps it was). Baseball fans will gladly stick with the story until the final inning, when 14-year-old Elgin steps up to the plate and achieves his dreams.

From Booklist
Jenkins follows his mainstream football story, Hometown Legend (2001), with a rewrite of his 1991 novel, The Rookie. It's the tale of a young baseball phenom, Elgin Woodell, who climbs out of poverty--bringing his saintly mother along with him--to become the greatest baseball player of all time. He redeems the failure of his alcoholic father, a baseball player who could have been great. Jenkins was a sportswriter before securing fame with the Left Behind series, and The Rookie is authentic and touching, not least because of its evocation of the perennially hapless Cubs. The Youngest Hero, however, is a rather mechanical rewrite of a novel that didn't require tinkering. Jenkins adds little to the story, and huge chunks of his narrative are the same. But he shifts his point of view from third person to first and expands the role of Elgin's mom until she becomes an archetypal, never-wavering, Christian tower of strength. The new novel seems like a publisher's trick, a quick way to capitalize on Jenkins' new fame, but the changes are extensive enough to warrant purchase. And because a mainstream film has now been released of Hometown Legend, it may be reasonable to expect a film out of this one as well. Trick or no trick, The Youngest Hero will be requested. John Mort

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, February 27, 2012

I finished the book and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, March 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/1/2012 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! RABCK and KTM book to hyphen8. Trust you enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, March 16, 2012

Received today - thank you very much!

Journal Entry 8 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, April 01, 2012

An enjoyable baseball fantasy; the two readers are very effective.

I wish I could leave it at the baseball stadium, but cassettes just aren't that accessible any more. I'll try to find a new home for this.

Journal Entry 9 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/23/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed back out in KateKintail's Audiocassette box ray - enjoy!

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you are able to make a journal entry to let me know you've found my book that would be terrific.

If you're new to BookCrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community of book lovers and learn about what it has to offer. If you decide to sign up, you may use me ( hyphen8 ) as your referring member, but that's certainly not required.

In fact, there are no requirements: this is now your book and you may do whatever you like with it. You're welcome to keep it for as long as you wish, and you can even mark it for your "permanent collection"...but you don't have to.

Please do feel free to make a journal entry when you're done with the book saying what you thought of it or what you plan to do with it next: if you decide to pass it this book to another reader or leave it for someone else to find, joining BookCrossing will allow you to follow the book's future travels whenever another reader makes a journal entry...who knows where it will turn up next?

Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 10 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Photobucket

Nice to see this one again. :-)

I'm going to take him out, & add him to a different bookbox, since 2 audio bookboxes came yesterday (the day after I had just done one -- argh!) & I'm a little short. Hope that's OK!

Journal Entry 11 by wingiwillrejoicewing at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/17/2012 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Released into LittleWhiteBird's Shrinking Audio Bookbox. Godspeed, little book!

Journal Entry 12 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, May 26, 2012

I picked this out of LittleWhiteBird's Shrinking Audio Bookbox. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 13 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, March 09, 2015

The Youngest Hero is a "rags to riches", Horatio Alger type of story. I really enjoyed this tale of young Elgin Woodall, who has a deep love for "America's pastime". Despite his family's hardships and an absent father, Elgin tries to fulfill his dreams of making it into the "big league". You do not need to be a sports fan to fall in love with Elgin, his mother and all the other characters who were created by Jerry Jenkins. I found this audiobook very captivating and emotional. The use of two different voices worked well. The Youngest Hero was a book that I couldn't put down.

Journal Entry 14 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, November 09, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (11/9/2015 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

I'm sending this audiobook to LittleWhiteBird who pick this off of iwillrejoice's Audiobook VBB. I hope you enjoy this story. Happy travels. Happy Reading.

Journal Entry 15 by LittleWhiteBird at Pasadena, California USA on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Thanks, this has just arrived here.

Journal Entry 16 by LittleWhiteBird at Pasadena, California USA on Monday, May 09, 2016

I'm skeptical of the author's Left Behind series, but enjoyed this story very much. I don't understand that much about baseball, but all the descriptions gripped me anyway. The characters are believable and you root for mother and son not to become overwhelmed by the success he has through his talent and hard work.
It was great to have two narrators for the two points of view.

Journal Entry 17 by LittleWhiteBird at Pasadena, California USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Released 11 mos ago (11/9/2016 UTC) at Pasadena, California USA

I'm putting this into imawinn2's Cassettes are still alive audio book box.