corner corner The Terrible Privacy Of Maxwell Sim

The Terrible Privacy Of Maxwell Sim
by Jonathan Coe | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Mai-day of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 30, 2011

status (set by janeydthelakes): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Mai-day from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 30, 2011

"He's about to have a mid-life crisis (though he doesn't know it yet). He'll be found in his car in the north of Scotland, half-naked and alone, suffering hypothermia, with a couple of empty whisky bottles and a boot full of toothbrushes"

A lovely little book. Maxwell is a bit of a Reginald Perin for our age. I particularly liked the relationship he developed with his sat nav.

Journal Entry 2 by Mai-day at Lounge Bar and Grill at the Leeds Bookcrossers Meetup in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (10/11/2011 UTC) at Lounge Bar and Grill at the Leeds Bookcrossers Meetup in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Releasing at the Leeds Bookcrossers Meetup

Journal Entry 3 by gaelpixie at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Well...it took a bit of getting going with this, but once I was into it I quite enjoyed it. I got caught up in Maxwell's doom and I liked the format with the inserts of other people's stories. The plot was interesting and I looked forward to sitting down and carrying on with the book everyday.
But the random dollop of metafiction right at the end was a bit unnecessary, and actually annoyed me as much as it did Maxwell...
This book lost a mark because of the ending!

Journal Entry 4 by gaelpixie at Leeds Meet @ The Lounge in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/10/2012 UTC) at Leeds Meet @ The Lounge in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

To be released at the Leeds Meet at The Lounge

Journal Entry 5 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Picked up at March Leeds Meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 27, 2012

In my opinion a well written book, here is an author who can understand and see the joy in the ordinary.

From the first page Jonathan Coe envelops the reader into a warm and genuine story. It feels so very personal, like he's sitting opposite reading aloud to just you. It's not an exceptional story but it is a very real one, and it is told with just the right level of humour and grace. Maxwell is a character you cannot help but fall in love with.

And the ending, well that's brilliant and wickedly clever. One of the best endings I have read this year.
******************************************************************************************************************

Just shows quite how varied peoples opinions on the same book can be! ;)

Journal Entry 7 by han_cat at Somewhere Around Pateley Bridge or Brimham Rocks in Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/6/2012 UTC) at Somewhere Around Pateley Bridge or Brimham Rocks in Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Going on a day out around Pateley Bridge/Brimham Rocks .... will leave it somewhere - yet to be decided!

Hello, lucky finder of this book, thank you for visiting the website.

Please take a moment to let us know you have the book - then everyone who has had it previously will know where it is! Then post a review when you've read it. It is yours to keep or pass on to someone else. The choice is yours!

If you join BookCrossing, you, too, can see where it goes next...

Journal Entry 8 by janeydthelakes at Brimham Rocks, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 07, 2012

I found this book yesterday at Brimham Rocks, during a visit of childhood haunts with my nieces - what a great find! I love discovering new authors, and having never heard of Bookcrossing before I got quite giddy about the concept! Looking forward to the read. The book is now having a short break in the Lake District and will be sent on its way sometime soon!