corner corner The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
by Carson McCullers | Literature & Fiction
Registered by janaqq of Austin, Texas USA on 9/24/2003

status (set by CarynPic): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by janaqq from Austin, Texas USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Sending this to Russia. I hope it will have a nice journey.

Journal Entry 2 by janaqq at -- Controlled Release in Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, September 28, 2003

Released on Sunday, September 28, 2003 at Austin Bookcrossers box o' books to Russia in Austin, Texas USA.

Journal Entry 3 by KatjaFaith on Thursday, December 18, 2003

Many, many thanks to fellow BookCrossers from Austin for the book!! I'm really grateful for your M-bag!
TBR

Journal Entry 4 by KatjaFaith on Thursday, June 16, 2005

Not exactly my kind of book. I had to concentrate too hard to understand all the philosophy, which is very hard when you're live with your younger brother & sister :) .. Sending it to neverbelilith. Hope you'll like it :) !

Journal Entry 5 by KatjaFaith at Belgorod Post Office No. 1 in Belgorod, Belgorod Oblast Russia on Thursday, June 16, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (6/17/2005 UTC) at Belgorod Post Office No. 1 in Belgorod, Belgorod Oblast Russia

Moving to the UK to find a new friend!!!

Journal Entry 6 by perditaxknit from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 30, 2005

Many thanks for this, KatjaFaith!

I hope I do better with the philosophy, I'm not very clever though... :)

Journal Entry 7 by perditaxknit from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Finally got round to reading this one!

A pleasant enough story, but not massively exciting. I think this may have been a book of its time.

Journal Entry 8 by perditaxknit from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter Bookray

OK, here's the list for the bookray :)

perditaxknit (UK)
Fire-Dragon (UK)
UrbanSpaceman (UK)
CarynPic (US) - US only <--- book is here
Dawgmycat (US) - US only
k00kaburra (US) - US preferred

Standard Bookcrossing book ray guidelines apply:

- Please journal the book when you receive it, so we know where it is!
- Please try and read the book within a month (but don't worry too much if it takes you longer, I know how rings/rays all seem to come along at once!)
- When you've finished it PM the next person on the list and find out their address to send it to. Surface mail is fine :)
- Have fun!

I look forward to reading your journal entries! Any new participants please feel free to PM me and I'll add you on to the list!

Journal Entry 9 by perditaxknit from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 26, 2006

Sending to Fire-Dragon today :)

Journal Entry 10 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 04, 2006

I have just returned from holiday in Italy and this was waiting for me. Thank you! As you've said, all rings seem to have arrived at once but I will try to read it soon. This is on my list of the top 100 books of the 20th century, which I am working my way through. See my blog www.bookcentury.blogspot.com.

Journal Entry 11 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 09, 2006

This is a beautiful and moving book about loneliness and the quest for self fulfilment. It follows the intertwined lives of five main characters in a midsize town in the American South in the 1930s. It is not plot driven but rather the story is mostly about people's inner lives. I found it very moving and compelling.

I don't think there is any difficult philosophy to understand - it's a book with emotional resonance rather than requiring an intellectual or analytical approach. In essence the book is about several people who are all lonely in their own way and deal with their loneliness in different ways.

UrbanSpaceman is next and I have his address so will send it on this week.

Journal Entry 12 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 17, 2006

This is a very well-travelled book, which makes it even more special.

Like Fire-Dragon, I have a some reading list projects, and this is part of two of them:

* Time 100 Best English-language Novels since 1923 [#56]

* Random House 100 Best English-language novels of the 20th Century [#17]

I have one ring book ahead of it in the queue, and then I'll be on to it. Thanks to Neverbelilith for the ring!

Journal Entry 13 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, July 28, 2006

I concur with Fire-Dragon, this is a book about the different forms of lonliness and also about the way people treat each other. It's about wanting the world to be a different place, but finding that making it so is not easy and about innocence and its loss. It's a sad, touching tale which is also a snapshot of the southern USA at a particular time. There is no tidy resolution, but then that's just like real life.

Thank to the perditaxknits (the BCer formerly known as neverbelilith) for ringing this. Sent on to CarynPic on 2 August.

Journal Entry 14 by CarynPic from Methuen, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, August 10, 2006

Received, have two bookrings in front of this one. Will hurry!

Journal Entry 15 by CarynPic from Methuen, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2006

09.24.06 Never fear, have started reading!

Journal Entry 16 by CarynPic from Methuen, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Finally got through, wasn't the easiest read, but I promised myself I would finish it. PMing the next participant, Dawgmycat, for address.

Journal Entry 17 by CarynPic from Methuen, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 06, 2006

Sending to Dawgmycat tomorrow!

Journal Entry 18 by CarynPic at Postal Release in Oak Hill, West Virginia USA on Monday, December 11, 2006

Sent to Dawgmycat, next on the bookring.

Journal Entry 19 by CarynPic at Postal Release in Oak Hill, West Virginia USA on Monday, December 11, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (12/11/2006 UTC) at Postal Release in Oak Hill, West Virginia USA

Sent to Dawgmycat, next reader in the bookring.