corner corner Red Sails to Capri

Red Sails to Capri
by Ann Weil | Children's Books
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 9/25/2011

status (set by iwillrejoice): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Sunday, September 25, 2011

When this book came out in the early 1950s, Capri had become a popular tourist destination and a home for writers like Graham Greene. Surely children's author Ann Weil must have visited and discovered the story she tells here. With a wonderful sense of humor and an ear for Italian speech and mannerisms, Weil takes an historical event from the 1830s that was to change the island and makes it into a compelling tale. To tell more would give away too much. This story is driven by suspense. Sleepy Capri begins to awaken when three visitors come to the island seeking beauty, adventure and truth. The English artist, French adventurer and Nordic scholar sail in on a boat with beautiful red sails, said to make the boat faster. To the satisfaction of all the characters, some of whom are bound by superstition at first, the visitors' quests and native friendship claim a victory. On the back, this book is recommended for ages 10-14. It does seem to be a good tween choice. And it could be a great read-a-long as well for those who enjoy performing Italian accents. RED SAILS TO CAPRI was designated a Newbery Honor book in 1953. Sadly, it is hard to find nowadays.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/8/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book hid itself for awhile. I'd meant to send it out earlier but here it is, the only book I'll be sending out for my bookcrossing 10th anniversary this year. Fortunately, RED SAILS TO CAPRI represents what I value in books. It tells the story of a discovery made against significant odds and describes time, place and people very well. I hope this book will have a good bookcrossing journey.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Kindly sent across the country by cordelia-anne - thank you very much!

Congratulations on a decade of BookCrossing!!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 24, 2014

An enjoyable story based on a true event: the people living on the island of Capri have a secret that no one talks about, ever. Then three visitors arrive and start asking questions...

Once you learn what the secret is, it's definitely worth looking up some photos! Now I think I want to visit Capri some day... ;)

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (8/25/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Surprise! Although it's ridiculously late, this book (along with its traveling companion) is on your wishlist and I have your info from the birthday group..so happy (un)birthday! Hope you had a great one and that your 2014 is going well.

---

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ooh, a birthday gift! I love them whenever they arrive! (And you're not the only one running behind on sending these. I'm caught up to mid-July, tho!) Thank you!