corner corner Recipe for Life

Recipe for Life
by Nicky Pellegrino | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on 9/23/2011

status (set by WanderingSheila): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 23, 2011

Amazon: Product Description
A recipe for life should be a simple thing: love and happiness, family, friends and a little food. But life is rarely straightforward... Alice wants to make the most of life - after all, she knows how fragile it can be - and knows she never feels more alive than when she's cooking. Babetta has spent a lifetime tending the garden of her tiny house on the Italian coast, growing food to feed a family now grown and gone. One summer these two women are brought together in a crumbling Mediterranean villa, with the shared language of food and the soil they grow it from. There, under the heat of the Italian sun, or the shade of the pomegranate tree, secrets will be spoken, fears and hopes shared. But life's lessons are not learnt easily. RECIPE FOR LIFE is a novel about discovering how life never stops surprising us, and about how, with a little love and courage, its flavours can be richer than we ever imagined.

My Review - October 2011
This is the first title by this author that I have read and I doubt it will not be the last as I believe they are all set in Italy. Although I am already here living the dream it was a pleasure to lose myself in the setting for this delightful novel for a few hours. A very relaxing read and the sights and smells felt almost real, it is obvious that the author knows those sights and smells for herself and is passionate about Italy.
The story is told by the two main female characters, Alice and Babetta in alternating chapters. Alice a young British girl has had a traumatic incident in her life which has caused her to drop out of university and for her whole life to change direction. She wants to make the most of her life but seems somewhat confused as to how to go about this. The other protagonist is Babetta the typical Italian mama figure who has spent her life tending to her family’s needs. Babetta is feeling lost as her husband seems to have lost his zest for life. leaving her feeling useless. One summer these vastly different women are brought together, thanks to the beautiful Villa Rosa. Despite not being able to communicate easily, cooking and growing fresh food enables these two women to build a special relationship.
If you are passionate about Italy then there is no doubt you will enjoy this story. There is a lot of romance but there is also so much more as our protagonist discovers that life’s lessons are certainly not learnt easily.

More information can be found on LindyLouMac's Book Reviews

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at by hand, A friend -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 07, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/7/2011 UTC) at by hand, A friend -- Controlled Releases

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 3 by WanderingSheila at Capodimonte, Lazio Italy on Sunday, October 30, 2011

This has been the third Nicky Pellegrino book that I have read, and I just loved it. I really would like to read the others that I haven't had the chance to do so yet.

Journal Entry 4 by WanderingSheila at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/26/2012 UTC) at Viterbo, Lazio Italy

I am giving this to a friend of mine, who I believe may enjoy this book.