corner corner Still Waters (DCI Mark Lapslie, Bk 1)

Still Waters (DCI Mark Lapslie, Bk 1)
by Nigel McCrery | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by oofiri of Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, September 19, 2011

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by oofiri from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, September 19, 2011

I visited the Academic Bookstore summer sale several times, bought quite a pile of paperbacks, this one accidentally twice. Read it yesterday in accompaniment to a flu.

A very good mystery told half from the murderer's, half from the detectives point of view. DCI Lapslie would be interesting enough without his synesthesia, which is not integral to the story and at this stage seems just a quirk. (You can't get a new fictional detective without a difference these days, and occasionally the effort to make them stand out gets a bit desperate.) If this series takes off, I'd expect more.

Because otherwise this works nicely, balancing the creepy and the gruesome with insight and solid detecting.

To be released. In time, I'll release the other copy, too.

Journal Entry 2 by oofiri at OBCZ Pilkku in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (9/22/2011 UTC) at OBCZ Pilkku in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

Journal Entry 3 by Nadezda at Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Oofiri recommended the book and since I like everything dark and grim I'll give this a try.

Journal Entry 4 by Nadezda at Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, February 18, 2012

I liked the book.

Journal Entry 5 by Nadezda at Sokos in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/13/2012 UTC) at Sokos in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

5th floor cafeteria

Journal Entry 6 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Took the book from the meetup, oofiri's recommendation as well.

Journal Entry 7 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, April 07, 2012

I've finished reading it and I must say I really enjoyed it. The story is not so ordinary and that made it refreshing. Based on this reading experience I might easily think I want to try some other Lapslie mysterie as well but keeping oofiri's advice in mind, then maybe not.

Passing the book forward again.

Journal Entry 8 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/8/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

To the meetup where it left with Amynita.

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 9 by Amynita at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

I heard this is a good one, so I took it with me from the meetup.

Journal Entry 10 by Amynita at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (5/13/2014 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

I thought of releasing this one without reading it, so it could find new readers sooner. I have too many books to read and too little time! I took this book to the local meetup

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Interestin neurological condition - I could not resist the temptation.
Thank you for the book, kind Bookcrossers!