corner corner Alice Bliss: A Novel

by Laura Harrington | Literature & Fiction
Registered by adeforest on 8/27/2011

status (set by adeforest): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by adeforest on Saturday, August 27, 2011

received in Philadelphia. Looking forward to reading.

Journal Entry 2 by adeforest at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Alice Bliss swept me in from the first sentence and carried me along with its musical prose, engaging heroine, and moving story. Reading this book filled me with the same kind of pleasure I felt when I was young and first starting to read. I wished I knew these characters as friends. This is a book abundant with good people with a gratifying sense of community. The minor characters are as deeply drawn as the main players. I came to care about all of them deeply, most of all the man "who knows how to be happy," the absent father off in Iraq who is the book's center -- Matt Bliss.

Laura Harrington's background as a playwright comes through in the crackling dialogue, which deftly reveals personalities as it moves the action forward, while her work in musical theater is evidenced in the masterful tonal shifts throughout. The story unfolds with the grace and energy of a dance, at times exuberant, at times elegaic. The whole is wholly satisfying.

Journal Entry 3 by adeforest at Veyrier, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (10/12/2011 UTC) at Veyrier, Genève Switzerland

I released Alice Bliss in Switzerland last week. The setting was fitting, as my friend Jocelyn's vegetable garden, still abundant with haricots verts, aubergines, red-leafed lettuce, and herbs, would have made the characters Alice, and her father Matt, happy. I gave the book to Jocelyn's daughter, Aline, who was enthusiastic about the Book Crossing endeavor and wondering where in the world this copy of AB might end up. Earlier in the evening her mother and I had been talking about seed swapping and plant sharing and scattering wildflowers through handmade "flower bombs." Book Crossing, we agreed, is a similar concept. A scattering of words, a story, that we hope will take root and bloom in a hundred readers' imaginations.