corner corner The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

by Michael Chabon | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Beecie of Westerville, Ohio USA on 8/26/2011

status (set by truthinjest): available

Journal Entry 1 by Beecie from Westerville, Ohio USA on Friday, August 26, 2011

This is one of my favorites. It's rare to find a book that captures you so quickly, and whips you away to its own version of reality. This is the sort of summer read I'm always looking for, and don't always find. I know we're running short on summer, but hopefully this book will find someone who's still looking for their internal summer vacation.

It is being released as part of our summer Bookcrossing Monopoly game. Our theme this week is City Center. I think we hit the mark three ways. First, just look at this guy....that's the Empire State Building....how much more central can an image be to a city? Second, when I hear "city center" I hear "heart of the city". This book captures the heart New York. It has a sense of place grounded in the character of the people who live there. Finally, I'm releasing this one in one of the best things about the center of our city, Westerville Ohio. Serendipity is my favorite uptown sandwich/ice cream shop. It has a great gazebo, porch swing, and what is possibly the most comfortable couch ever in a reading room inside. Shockingly, I'm always finding locals that don't realize what a treasure we've got in this place.....so hopefully book hunters will find a treat in the center of Westerville when they go looking for this one. And when they find it, they'll also find the perfect place to curl up and read the first few chapters.

Journal Entry 2 by Beecie at Serendipity in Westerville, Ohio USA on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (8/27/2011 UTC) at Serendipity in Westerville, Ohio USA

Released on a bench out front.

Journal Entry 3 by truthinjest at Westerville, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I found this in the meeting room at Serendipity a few weeks before it closed.
"The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" was not the first Michael Chabon book I've tried, but it was the first that I enjoyed. Before encountering this book, I was not a fan of his at all. Now, I plan to give his work another shot.