corner corner The Swallows of Kabul

The Swallows of Kabul
by Yasmina Khadra | Literature & Fiction
Registered by meremaca of Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

status (set by Soozreader): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by meremaca from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"Like Khaled Hosseini's 'The Kite Runner', this is a superb meditation on the fate of the Afghan people." -Publishers Weekly

"Beautifully written...Puts a human face on the suffering inflicted by the Taliban...'The Swallows of Kabul' will stay with you long after you've finished it."- San Francisco Chronicle

Journal Entry 2 by meremaca at Simply Your Spa - 1901 Ashley River Rd in Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (8/23/2011 UTC) at Simply Your Spa - 1901 Ashley River Rd in Charleston, South Carolina USA

At Simply Your Spa, on bottom shelf in main relaxation area

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Found this on the shelf at Simply Your Spa when I went to drop off a couple of books. It looks interesting and I hope to get to it soon, then pass it on.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Making a note to reserve this for aetm after it is read. It's getting closer to the top of the "Read me" pile.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Friday, December 23, 2011

A book of utter desolation -- beautifully written, but heartwrenching in the world it depicts. (And I have no cause to believe it is an untrue view. Kabul, once a city of so much wonder, has been utterly changed since wars and political climate there changes.) You cannot read this book, and then pretend to be unaware of what happens when a fundamentalist view takes over ordinary people.

The story roughly follows the lives of two couples in Kabul: Moshen and Zunaira, once part of the educated middle class, and Atiq and Misarrat, the jailer and his dying wife. Stories of love and devotion, but not played out like a fairy tale.

The writing is stark in places, luminescent in others. Though the book is small, it took me longer to read, because I had to ruminate on certain passages. This was not a quick, easy read. Some parts were chilling in the brutishness, others made my soul sing. (An example of the latter, which rang true to me: "Music is the true breath of life. We eat so we won't starve to death. We sing so we can hear ourselves live." (p 84). And at another point "Basically, being alive means keeping yourself ready for the sky to fall in on you at any time." (p118)

Legend has it that the women of Afghanistan were the most beautiful and beguiling in the world, and that the burqa was instituted to protect men from being driven mad by that beauty. I read somewhere that the title refers to the flocks of women in burqas.

Reserved for aetm. Will probably send out next week when the Christmas madness is lessened, somewhat.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookczukwing at Austin, Texas USA on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (12/28/2011 UTC) at Austin, Texas USA

This book is headed to Texas now!

Journal Entry 7 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

... and the book is safely in Austin now (Tyvek envelopes are the best thing ever for books in mail, so far I haven't seen anything ripped by UPS that would have been mailed inside a tyvek casing - the win). Hmm - I think this one will be either a "yay, it starts to be a bit warmer outside so I can go and read something by the pool" or a travel read to Europe or somewhere more exotic), or for the instant relief for the itch of reading something located somewhere very exotic. Thanks bookchuk :)

Journal Entry 8 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, March 17, 2012

I've read three books by Khadra, and all three have been completely different in the style, the places, the people, and in everything else.
I think you nailed it, bookczuk.
Fascinating and beautiful, also in the things that are not fascinating or beautiful. No, beautiful is a wrong word, but can't think of something that would suit better for the sparse writing that captures and keeps you following. There are a ton of emotions behind the things that happen (or don't happen), and it made me also want to read something by the same places from way before all the fundamentalist stuff took everything over. A small piece in the book maybe summarized it, "We've already been killed, all of us. It happened so long ago, we've forgotten it." A culturally (close to) desert Kabul, I'll want to know the greener, more alive Kabul too. Something from even before The Kite Runner...

Journal Entry 9 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/24/2012 UTC) at Austin, Texas USA

I sent the book to a Goodreads friend, Art, in Brunswick MD since he had it on his wishlist. I hope you'll like the book. I think this one would also be nice to leave to some of the European reader friends once I and my hubby visit Europe in May, so if you can comfortably finish it before then that'd be cool. :)

Safe journey little book - I hope you'll make many new friends on your travels!

"Don't ever apologize to an author for buying something in paperback, or taking it out from a library (that's what they're there for. Use your library). Don't apologize to this author for buying books second hand, or getting them from bookcrossing or borrowing a friend's copy. What's important to me is that people read the books and enjoy them, and that, at some point in there, the book was bought by someone. And that people who like things, tell other people. The most important thing is that people read... "
— Neil Gaiman

Journal Entry 10 by ArtReid at Brunswick, Maryland USA on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Very moving and a clearly and simply written tale of a dark and hard subject. I had a coworker once who told me what life was life under the Taliban and this book was very close to the stories she said.

Journal Entry 11 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, April 15, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed it Art :) the book is back safely here in Austin, and it'll be traveling to Europe in a few weeks...

Journal Entry 12 by aetm at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/17/2012 UTC) at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland

Released in Joensuu - enjoy :)

Safe journey little book - I hope you'll make many new friends on your travels!

— Neil Gaiman

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 13 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thank you very much for this book, I'll look forward to reading it!