corner corner Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog
by Kate Atkinson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingReetPetitewing of Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2011

status (set by Izikhova): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2011

A day like any other for security chief Tracy Waterhouse, until she makes a shocking impulse purchase. That one moment of madness is all it takes for Tracy's humdrum world to be turned upside down, the tedium of everyday life replaced by fear and danger at every turn.
Witnesses to Tracy's outrageous exchange in the Merrion Centre in Leeds are Tilly, an elderly actress teetering on the brink of her own disaster, and Jackson Brodie who has returned to his home county in search of someone else's roots. All three characters learn that the past is never history and that no good deed goes unpunished.

Send to klaradyn for the Wishlist Tag Game

Journal Entry 2 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Good book. Quite a lot of it set in Yorkshire.

Journal Entry 3 by wingReetPetitewing at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (9/6/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going to klaradyn in South Africa

Journal Entry 4 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

WHEEEE! The latest Jackson Brodie! Thanks so much for tagging me with this one, I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, September 30, 2011

Really enjoyed this, but thought certain parts of the ending were rather open-ended. Maybe a sequel is on the way?

Journal Entry 6 by klaradyn at A Touch of Madness, Nuttall Rd in Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, September 30, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (9/28/2011 UTC) at A Touch of Madness, Nuttall Rd in Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

On the shelf at the OBCZ.

Journal Entry 7 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, October 07, 2011

Picked up at A Touch of Madness OBCZ. Thanks, klaradyn; thanks, ReetPetite.

Beautiful cover.

Journal Entry 8 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

This was my introduction to Kate Atkinson's work, and I'm happy to have made the acquaintance.

I must admit to being in two minds about the book, though. On the one hand I fully agree with the write-up of The Independent quoted on the back cover:

Atkinson's detective novels capture the strangeness of modern times ... with spiky wit, emotional intelligence and consummate cleverness.

Indeed. And yet, with such a great build-up, witty and shrewd observations, the delectable prose, I felt that the finish didn't quite live up to expectations.

I'll be on the look-out for more of her work -- perhaps some of her earlier, non-detective novels.

(Loved the dog; loved the girl!)

Journal Entry 9 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, January 02, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/2/2012 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Read and Release!

Passed on to Izikhova. Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 10 by Izikhova at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Looking forward to reading first Kate Atkinson book - thanks for the special bookmark, Stoepbrak.