corner corner A Hero of Our Time (Герой нашего времени)

A Hero of Our Time (Герой нашего времени)
by Mikhail Lermontov | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 8/17/2011

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

I found this book recently on a bookswap site and brought it to Florida with me on vacation to give to booklady331. Alas, our schedules don't match up for this week, but I'm going to mail the book, and hope I can see her next summer. This book was first published in 1840 in Moscow, and was later translated into other languages. This particular copy was printed in English but actually was printed in the old USSR.

In five linked episodes, Lermontov builds up the portrait of a man caught up in and expressing the sickness of his times. A marvelous novel and an early landmark in Russian literature, A Hero of Our Time served as an inspiration for many later Russian authors, including Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/17/2011 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Going by mail to booklady331 -- enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, August 20, 2011

Thank you for this surprise. I am blessed to have you as a friend. I wish we could have met. By the way the mailing evelope is adorable.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Currently reading the book. I will offer it up to another BCer when I finish.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, July 23, 2012

Finished the book tonight. I can see why it is on the 1001 book to read list. Hope to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, July 27, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/27/2012 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! off to hypen8 for both KTM and RABCK release challenges

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This nicely-bound little hardback arrived today as a RABCK, along with a batch of labels that look very useful - thanks for sharing!

(Larger photo here.)

Journal Entry 8 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, March 02, 2013

I just got another copy of this book as a RABCK - I'd better get to it soon!

Journal Entry 9 by winghyphen8wing at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/18/2013 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Since I have two copies of this book, one should go traveling.

To be released at our third annual pop-up Skygate OBCZ during the 2013 Hawaii Book and Music Festival.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!