corner corner Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil

Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil
by John Berendt | Nonfiction
Registered by phantomreader42 of Warner Robins, Georgia USA on 8/16/2011

status (set by phantomreader42): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Monday, October 08, 2012

I picked this up in a shop on Tybee Island (one of multiple shops along that street with a display, it's very heavily promoted in the Savannah area).

Engrossing, with a strange cast of colorful characters (a man walking a nonexistent dog, a foul-mouthed black drag queen, a lottery-obsessed voodoo priestess). It takes a while to get to the murder and the long, complicated trial (which has little to do with justice or facts in the end). But there's nothing wrong with that, the time spent exploring Savannah is the best part. Mercer House sounds like a place to see. LadyGothic wants to go ghost hunting in Savannah sometime, and the Stranger's Tomb might be a nice place to start. The idea of dialing BEDROOM on a telephone to find a guest house is amusing, though that service may no longer exist. And I wonder if Savannah's water supply is still from the old limestone aquifer, or if it's become unusable (or poisoned).

What I enjoy most...is living like an aristocrat without the burden of having to be one.

Overheard remarks were as much a commodity at Clary's drugstore as Goody's Powder or Chigarid.

The police were so congenial I had no idea I'd been charged with murder until I read it in the newspaper the next day.

See, with all these weirdos you got filling up your book, I figure somebody's gonna have to play the good guy, and it's beginning to look like it'll be me.

My living in Mercer House pisses off all the right people.

Journal Entry 2 by LadyGothic at Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Sunday, March 10, 2013

I read this novel a few years ago but oddly forgot it.

It is a wonderful, witty, drama full of history and philandering gossip! I'll visit Mercer House when we visit Savannah.

Journal Entry 3 by phantomreader42 at Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Friday, March 28, 2014

We can't very well release this in Savannah, since the area is saturated with copies. So I'm packing it up to send to a friend.