corner corner The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty

The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty
by Sebastian Barry | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingKiwiinEnglandwing of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

status (set by tree-hugger): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Following the end of the First World War, Eneas McNulty joins the British-led Royal Irish Constabulary. However with a sentence of death passed over him he is forced to flee Sligo, his friends, family and beloved girl.

This is the second copy of this book I have brought. The previous copy's fate can be seen here

The authors way of writing was amazing. I wouldn't have found this book without seeing it on the wishlist of nu-knees, so thank you for the unknowing pushing me to read this tale. I greatly enjoyed the way it was written. I really enjoyed the story also, although I found the ending a little weird.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 23, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (9/24/2011 UTC) at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

This is going to Nu-Knees, to celebrate the Nottingham UnConvention 2011 and the fact we are both there. And to celebrate our almost birthdays!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Thank you very much, KiwiinEngland, for this book from my Wish List where I added it after enjoying Annie Dunne. I have rather a large number of books waiting to be read, so I don't know when I'll get around to this one, but I will eventually. It's several years since I visited Ireland in person but I like to let my imagination remind me and I look forward to returning for real one day, probably for the 2012 BookCrossing in Dublin next April!
Thank you also for the lovely book-patterned notepad and the chocolates/sweets which were parcelled up with the book and for the cute bookmark in my birthday card - your generosity and greetings are much appreciated! It was good to see you again over the weekend! What a great time we had in Nottingham! Happy birthday, lass :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 13, 2012

The first thing to say about this powerful novel is how beautiful is the language in which it's written: lyrical, flowing, poetic, memorable, lilting ....
The story of Eneas reflects the story of Ireland through much of the 20th century, a tale told on an epic scale, having a significance beyond the time and place in which it's rooted.
Many of the Irish place-names brought back happy memories of the one and only time I toured Ireland: Sligo, Strandhill, Enniscrone, Knocknarea ....
Thank you again, KiwiinEngland! Much appreciated!
Now reserved for tree-hugger as I'm sure the writing style will appeal to her! I've been reading this while she's been in Dublin for the BookCrossing Convention :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/29/2012 UTC) at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To tree-hugger who's recently enjoyed the BookCrossing Convention in Dublin which I didn't go to after all. Maybe one day I'll return to Ireland .... :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingtree-huggerwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2012

Now with me. Thanks Kiwi & Nu-Knees.