corner corner Cross Country

Cross Country
by Robert Sullivan | Travel
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, August 15, 2011

status (set by mrsjones): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, August 15, 2011

trade-size paperback.

from the back cover:
Robert Sullivan, who has driven cross-country more than two dozen times, recounts one of his family's many journeys from Oregon to New York. His story of moving his family back and forth from the East Coast to the West Coast (along with various other migrations), is replete with all the minor disasters, humor, and wonderful coincidences that characterize life on the road.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, August 15, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (8/15/2011 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Saw this title on your Wish List. If you've already read this, please release at your discretion.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Another book from my wishlist - you're too good to me! I'm looking forward to reading this travel book. Many thanks, Waterfalling!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, June 25, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I must admit, when I first started it I found the narrator extremely annoying. And when I found 2 spelling errors in the first few pages of the book, I knew I was really in trouble. Fortunately, I enjoyed the whole book and only found about 4-5 more spelling errors (not too bad). At the beginning of the story, Robert tells us how extremely annoying he is/can be, and tells the truth. But having been appropriately warned (he also tells us that, unlike his family, we're free to put the book down and come back later, and I did, a couple of times), he either calmed down, or I got used to it. Once he started on his return trip to NYC from Portland, Oregon for a family wedding, he became much less annoying. Of course, during the first part of the trip he tells us more than I've ever wanted to know about Lewis and Clark. But maybe that fascination is a western U.S. thing - I've never driven cross country, and after this book I'm not sure I'd want to. (I can see the cause for interest, though, but I definitely agree with him, that it's for someone much younger to do.) Sullivan shares much historical trivia with us, about the sites he sees and about the highway roads system in this great country. Who knew that the father of actress Barbara Bel Geddes (of TV's Dallas fame) was an industrial engineer? (Had to hit Wikipedia for that fact, since she's not mentioned in this book, but he is, several times.)

I also wanted to mention here (I enjoy including little tidbits of my boring life in some of my journals), on this my last day of reading this book, this afternoon I enjoyed a concert by a barbershop/a capella group, The Old Line Statesmen, whose show and current theme was about hoboes and their means of traveling the country (although they weren't mentioned in the book since they travel the rails). But I thought it an interesting sidelight to my read about traveling the country via our highway system.

Thanks so much for sending this to me, Waterfalling. After hating the first few pages (due to the author's annoying narration), I really enjoyed this book. It was an intriguing and enjoyable non-fiction read, which will now be reserved for a non-fiction vbb I'm in. Hope someone else requests and enjoys this book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/3/2012 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

Book is packaged up and ready for a trip across the country, in the next couple of days (as soon as I get to the po). Happy travels, little book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Received today, thank you. I expect to read this one this month.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, August 03, 2012

Let's see, what took longer; Robert Sullivan driving across the country from Oregon to NY City or me reading his book? It was me. Truthfully it wasn't always exciting to read. Reading about driving across the country probably has a lot in common with driving across the country; stretches of boredom; something to break boredom (in the case of this book that would mainly be the history of roads, driving and cross country trips in America starting with Lewis and Clark.) On the other hand, I could really relate. I love road trips myself; that anticipation and excitement to get going, the willingness to see what this trip will bring, how it will differ from plans and expectations, the happiness of sharing this with your children, the appreciation of the beauty of our country and our freedom to travel in it.
Mr. Sullivan seemed kind of uptight at the beginning of the book, nervous, his jokes fell a little flat and sounded more like self-criticism than anything else. But he loosens up as he talks about history and he seems like a really nice guy when he talks about his family. His love of family and country come through loud and clear. I appreciated that he did a lot of research to write this book, I think he really wanted to teach his readers and I was interested in learning.

Some of his philosophical thoughts near the end of the book:

"On this bridge, in this daredevil-like moment of multilane over-the-river traffic, I can see that the modern American road is a common space where people share nothing. It is the thing that, while separating us, we all have in common"

"When I wonder about the future of the interstates, of these things that cross and bind and rush-hour America in to a stupor of convenience and aggravation, and when I think of what seems so unlikely to change, I think again of how quickly things came to be--of the generations of my parents who saw the birth of the interstates, of the generation of their parents, who saw the birth of the car, of the generation of their parents, who rode the first railroads."

In the afterword the author actually relaxes and says some truly funny things.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st... It is an interview with Robert Sullivan and his two kids. Their performance of a song they sing on the road is really good.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Reserved for the Travel Narrative book box.

Journal Entry 9 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pulled this from the bookbox. I'm always looking for new places to explore in the U.S. Maybe I'll find some in here.