corner corner The Essential Reader ~Stories From Pakistan~

The Essential Reader ~Stories From Pakistan~
by Oxford | Other
Registered by AyeshaRaees of Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on 8/14/2011

status (set by elstaplador): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AyeshaRaees from Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on Sunday, August 14, 2011

Short stories from Pakistan. Translated from Urdu script to English. A bunch of really interesting read by really famous Urdu writers that anyone will enjoy.

This is for the bookring I am organizing to everyone to read and enjoy the Pakistani literature and culture. :)

~

RELEASE NOTES
BOOK RING
People in the book ring :

AyeshaRaees [DONE]
Simson-Shilitoe
Bibliovore
kally93
AyeshaRaees

Journal Entry 2 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The book arrived today. Thank you, AyeshaRaees!

Journal Entry 3 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, November 25, 2011

I take short stories as slow food. I don't read them non-stop, and I often re-read a good one. So this little book has dwelt by me a whole month now.

The introduction of the anthology interestingly illuminates the post colonial literature and the challenges in translating and localizing its soul for foreign readers.
The stories make a collection of literature as good as any. These authors write well. Many of the themes are universal while the stories give interesting moments in the local atmosphere in Pakistan.

There are funny stories like Beating the Donkey (Bina Shah) in a crazy traffic jam. There are touching stories like From Brooklyn to Karachi via Amsterdam (S. Afzal Haider) where a funeral trip also is a trip to the protagonist’s thoughts, as always. There is love and betrayal in the Steppenwolf story To Be or Not To Be (Zaheda Hina). Several stories reflect consciousness of social injustice or women's situation, like Pirani (a short sad story by Jamal Abro). The Dead Traveller, by Mirza Hamid Baig, in its laconic and tragic course, is a little gem, as well as Trolley Man by M. Athar Tahir. A speciality indeed is Toba Tek Singh by Sa'adat Hassan Manto, no doubt a true story, the absurd in real life – I could never imagine India and Pakistan exchanged lunatics!
In Bitter Gourd and Mirage, I liked the personal style of the writer Talat Abbasi. Air-Conditioning by Mohsin Hamid had its message excellently formulated. - Hamid was the only author here that I already knew (The Reluctant Fundamentalist recommended!)

Thanks a lot, Ayesha! Take pride in such writing compatriots of yours. Thorough notes above are made for future need :)

-ruzena

Journal Entry 4 by ruzena at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 25, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/25/2011 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

To VictoriaWagtail. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, December 05, 2011

The book arrived today, I'm really looking forward to read it! Thank you AyeshaRaees for organizing this ring and thanks Ruzena for sending it on to me. I also got a christmas stocking (Marimekko!) from Ruzena, THANK YOU! :D

The book also came with a brilliant bookmark of Pakistani stamps. Did you make that one Ruzena?

Journal Entry 6 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Some stories were good and very interesting and some not as good but as a whole I liked the book. Thanks for sharing it AyeshaRaees :)

I've got Carlienka's address allready and the book will soon continiue to travel

Journal Entry 7 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/31/2012 UTC) at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden

Posting today and the book will be on its way to Carlienka in Germany :)

Journal Entry 8 by Carlienka at Manila, Rizal Philippines on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Received from Victoria Wagtail today (via Germany to the Philippines where I am currently).
Thank you! And thank you for the chocolate and the beautiful Stockholm postcard - I visited there as a child, special memory!
I will get started on this collection soon.

Journal Entry 9 by Carlienka at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, June 25, 2012

I've held on to this book far too long - I'm sorry to the other participants of the ring for being so slow!
It's taken me a while to really get into this book. I think it's not easy for me to flow from one story to another. I have souram's address details so I think I'll arrest the process here, and send the book on!

Without giving too many spoilers... my favourite story was the grandmother's visit, because of the poignant insight into her thoughts and the merciful way she regarded others around her, and because her wish was granted in the end! And the one which will stay with me for a long time was the last one.. because it's not fiction, even today.

Journal Entry 10 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Saturday, July 14, 2012

I found the book at my post office; I travelled back from a 2 week holiday yesterday night.

Journal Entry 11 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Friday, July 20, 2012

Interesting book of stories from Pakistan. I liked it.

Journal Entry 12 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Monday, July 23, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/23/2012 UTC) at Genève, Genève Switzerland

Sent to Colombina.

Bienvenue dans le bookcrossing !

Bravo, vous avez capturé ce livre :) Vous avez eu raison d'oser le faire !

N'hésitez pas à visiter, explorer le site http://www.bookcrossing.com. NB: on peut changer la langue du site, cf. tout en bas de la page d'accueil, bande jaune change language.

Le bookcrossing permet de faire voyager des livres comme je le fais, en les "abandonnant" exprès en espérant que quelqu'un les prenne. Pour faire comme moi, il faut s'inscrire sur le site (indiqué plus haut). On peut alors libérer des livres après qu'on les a enregistrés sur le site, échanger (bookrings, rays...)
Sur le forum francophone, ou sur "bookcrossing Romandie.com", vous pouvez poser les questions qui vous titillent, vous trouverez toujours quelqu'un pour y répondre.

Si vous voulez - pas une obligation - vous pouvez en vous inscrivant indiquer que vous avez été parrainé par Souram. A vous de décider.

WELCOME TO BOOKCROSSING !

Journal Entry 13 by Colombina at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, July 28, 2012

This well-travelled book arrived today in Wuppertal, Germany, thank you very much!
I have just read "The story of a widow" written by Musharraf Ali Farooqi (The Story of a Widow ) which I liked very much and I am looking forward to reading more stories from Pakistan.

Journal Entry 14 by Colombina at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, August 04, 2012

A great selection of short stories, some of them very touching e.g. "The Trolley Man".
However, the story that impressed me most was "To be or not to be" that raises questions as to how we live our lives. It has always bothered me that so many people think that having ideals is only for teenagers and that growing up means being "reasonable" and adapting to the society. How can these people silence their heart and how can they stand the gap between what their heart tells them and what is expected from them due to the role they play in their job? I can fully understand and share the main character's horror ... It is frightening that people can be Janus-faced like that ...

Journal Entry 15 by Colombina at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 06, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/6/2012 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

The book is now continuing its journey - thank you for this wonderful book ring!

Journal Entry 16 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Sunday, August 19, 2012

I'm sorry! I have forgotten to register the arrival of the book some 10-14 days ago! I'm really sorry!

I find this book nice and charming and a bit disturbing, too. It is always with a great deal of anticipation I start reading a new book and more so when it is about a society so different from the Swedish one.

Thank you, AyeshaRaees, for sharing!

Journal Entry 17 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/22/2012 UTC) at Jönköping, Småland Sweden

On it's way!

Journal Entry 18 by Finnchen at Luxembourg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Book arrived yesterday! Thank you for sharing.

----

This is a very interesting book. It gives some insight into a different culture, of which I don't really know very much. Very interesting and easily read.

Journal Entry 19 by Finnchen at to another Bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Luxembourg on Monday, September 03, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/4/2012 UTC) at to another Bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Luxembourg

On its way to Norway!
Happy reading :-)

Journal Entry 20 by Askeladda at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Guess what I found in my mailbox when I just came home from work? Yes, right! A long distance travelling yellow friend with arms and legs:) Im looking forward to read the book! Thank you Finnchen for the optimisttic flowercard on this rainy day! And thank you AyeshaRaees for leting me take part in this bookring!! reading has allready started.

Journal Entry 21 by Askeladda at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I enjoyed the reading! Some of the short stories made a strong impact on me. Thank you for sharing the book, AyeshaRaees!

I've PMed okyrhoe for the adress to be able to send the book on to Greece.

Journal Entry 22 by Askeladda at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 24, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/24/2012 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I've just rescived okyrhoes P.O.box adress, and now the book has travelled on to Athens.
I liked the book,even if some of the stories were quite disturbing to read.
Again, Thank you for sharing it, with us!

Til deg som finner boka sier jeg: velkommen til bookcrossing!
Håper du vil like boka du har funnet!
Les den, skriv et lite bokslipp notat og la boka reise videre!

Journal Entry 23 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Arrived in Athens.

Thanks AyeshaRaees for including me in the ring, and Askeladda for posting the book to me!

Journal Entry 24 by okyrhoe at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/11/2012 UTC) at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Thanks Ayesha for the opportunity to read the PK stories. Some authors I was familiar with, but most are new to me.

The book is on its way by post to elstaplador. Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 25 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Received safely - thank you!

Journal Entry 26 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

This is very obviously a school textbook, and I found it interesting to see how my response adapted to fit this, how I read it in a different way. It took me back to the days when reading - any sort of reading, but fiction in particular - was by far the most interesting thing that I was ever 'supposed' to be doing. What I mean, I suppose, is that I set out to enjoy this.

And I did. My main gripe is that all the stories are so short - almost without exception, I wanted to know more. I can at least seek out Ice Candy Man, an excerpt of which is included here, but the rest - so tantalising! There's a real mix - from the cynical and satirical to the endearingly frivolous to the harrowingly realistic - a breakneck-speed, vivid, colourful tour of the literature of Pakistan.

Journal Entry 27 by elstaplador at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 25, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/25/2013 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to the next reader.