corner corner Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio

Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio
by AMARA LAKHOUS | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 8/9/2011

status (set by Merolia): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

From the sleeve:

"A small culturally mixed community living in an apartment building in the center of Rome is thrown into disarray when one of the tenants is murdered. As each of the victim's neighbors is questioned by the police, readers are offered an all-access pass into the most colorful neighborhood in contemporary Rome. Each character takes his or her turn 'giving evidence,' recounting his or her story - the drama of racial identity, the anxieties and daily humiliations born of a life spent on society's margins, but also the hilarious imbroglios that are inevitable in this melting pot of cultures. What emerges is a moving story that is common to us all.

With language that is as colorful as the neighborhood it describes, Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio is characterized by a seemingly effortless prose that borrows from the cinematic tradition of the Commedia all'Italiana, as exemplified by directors such as Federico Fellini.

At the heart of this bittersweet comedy, winner of Italy's prestigious Flaiano Prize for Fiction, is a social reality we often tend to ignore and an anthropological analysis, refreshing in its generosity, that cannot fail to fascinate."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

This is both funny and fascinating. A clash of civilizations and various prejudices. And a murder mystery to boot. Recommended reading.

***

This book is the winner of the prestigious Flaiano and Racalmare-Leonardo Sciascia awards in Italy and thus eligible for Tarna's Winners bookcase :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, July 01, 2013

Thank you, Annimanni! The Clash of Civilizations arrived today and looks veery interesting.

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I truly liked it. Different cultures clashing, ethnic diversity and ethnic prejudice, everyone having their own, biased truth — it's real life as it is in Italy, in Finland, everywhere in Europe.
In their testimonies, some of the characters are often referring to books or films. I was so happy when Amedeo mentioned one of my favorite movies, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (orig. Angst essen Seele auf) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. I just don't quite understand why he called the director Werner Rainer Fassbinder. Perhaps he wanted to give us a hint or something? If he did, it was in vain.

There's one thing I regret, though: that I never bothered to learn any Italian. For some reason I think this book would have tasted even better in the original language. But I did like it anyway. Thank you so much for this great reading experience and, especially, for introducing Amara Lakhous to me, Annimanni. I'd love to read him more someday.

Amara Lakhous at Europa editions
Amara lakhous Biography at amaralakhous.com
Amara Lakhous, Homepage

Journal Entry 5 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/25/2015 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Offered this book in greenbadger's One book a month thread. I was happy to see so many BC'ers wanted to read this book. RaffleKing decided this book should go to feltre, and so it does. Enjoy, feltre!

Journal Entry 6 by feltre at Zografou, Attica Greece on Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Arrived today. Thank you for the book, the lovely postcard and the bookmark with my initials on it!

Journal Entry 7 by feltre at Zografou, Attica Greece on Thursday, April 09, 2015

I really liked this book SO much! Very well written. It's funny, touching and very interesting.

Journal Entry 8 by feltre at Zografou, Attica Greece on Thursday, July 02, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (7/2/2015 UTC) at Zografou, Attica Greece

Happy Birthday Merolia!

Journal Entry 9 by Merolia at Halandri, Attica Greece on Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Thank you feltre! Warm greetings to all previous readers.

I loved this book. How can it be so funny and so depressing at the same time? Everyone trapped in their own world and way of understanding, everyone so human and real, some of them with such big hearts. I loved Amedeo and Stefania. The way the narration is built on the different perspectives is executed in an excellent way.

I'm determined to persuade some friends and family to read this book.