corner corner Two Rings: A Story of Love and War

Carpe Diem!★

Two Rings: A Story of Love and War
by Millie Werber, Eve Keller | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

status (set by judysh): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

The publisher of this book, Public Affairs, offered copies of it on LibraryThing and I thought it sounded like a book I would like to read so I asked for a copy. And my wish was granted! It arrived at the beginning of January but I didn't register it then. It is due to be published on March 27, 2012 so I will try to read it before then.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, April 06, 2012

Considering that this book was written as a collaboration between the memoirist and a woman who hardly knew her before the project started, it is a remarkable work of writing. Eve Keller talks in the foreword about the process and some decisions she made in writing but after that the book is in Millie Werber's words. And what a story she has to tell. She was a young girl when the Nazis took power in Poland. She was naive and shy and had never been out of the city of Radom. Her family, consisting of her mother, father and brother, were moved to the ghetto in 1941. There they had to share a small room with Millie's uncle and aunt and their two children. It was her uncle who convinced Millie to go to work at the munitions factory, a decision that saved her life. Anyone who didn't or couldn't work was shipped to the death camps and that included Millie's mother. Her brother was shot before he even left the city.

Like any Holocaust survivor's story Millie was subject to horrible conditions and unbelievable cruelty. However, Millie found love too. It was brief, as her husband was removed from the factory a few months after they married, but it was the grand passion of her life. The picture on the front cover of the young couple could have been of any couple at that time. They look happy and Millie, at least, looks hopeful.

Millie feels her survival was a matter of luck. She was helped several times and she thinks it was just random chance that she managed to survive. But I think she must have had an inner core of strength that allowed her to carry on when most people would have given up. Whatever the case, it makes for a remarkable story. I'm very glad that Millie and Eve were able to put it on paper and get it published. These stories are so very important to preserve so we remember that awful period and never repeat it.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/12/2012 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I'll take this book to the monthly meeting of Winnipeg BookCrossers tonight. If no-one decides to take it home I will leave it on the OBCZ shelves.

Journal Entry 4 by judysh at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Picked this up at the bookcrossing meetup.