corner corner The Importance of Being Seven: 44 Scotland Street, Book 6

The Importance of Being Seven: 44 Scotland Street, Book 6
by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSoozreaderwing of Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on 8/9/2011

status (set by Rohtola): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSoozreaderwing from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

From the back: Despite inhabiting a great city renowned for its impeccable restraint, the extended family of 44 Scotland Street - Edinburgh's most lovable residents- is trembling on the brink of reckless self-indulgence. Matthew and Elspeth receive startling and expensive news on a visit to the Infirmary; Angus and Domenica are contemplating an Italian ménage à trois; and even Big Lou is overhead discussing cosmetic surgery. But when Bertie Pollock - six years old and impatient to be seven - mislays his meddling mother Irene one afternoon, a valuable lesson is learned: that wish-fulfilment is a dangerous business.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Thursday, August 11, 2011

I have two copies of this book, so I'll pass this one on...:)

Journal Entry 3 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 13, 2011

"Early bird..." This "worm" was meant for Annimanni, but she couldn't come to the meeting, so I caught this. Will be heading to her in the end...

Journal Entry 4 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, February 24, 2012

Finally! I'm so behind in all wishlist tags and this book was put on to the modified wishlist tag in order to get it moving properly and it will indeed reach Annimanni, first going to Chania though.
This is the first Scotland Street book I've read and I liked it a lot. My symphaties go to Bertie, who hopefully can continue his friendship with Andy - and the new found treat chocolate. Irene is luckily the absolute opposite to my mom, but I think I know an Irene or two... Very dominant and so into psychotherapy - or therapists.
Funnily enough, as a child I knew everybody who lived in our block of flats, by look at least, but knowadays I haven't got a clue except for the oldies.
I like the way the stories were told, following each set of family or group of friends at a time - would actually make a good TV-series. There is wisdom and humour in the book and I will certainly continue with the series.

Journal Entry 5 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Thanks sooo much, It's been ages since I've read books of this series and I can't wait!

Journal Entry 6 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, March 08, 2012

So enjoyable - warm, witty, fun :) Going to Annimanni next!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 16, 2012

Received with thanks :)

I'm sure it will be easy to find new readers for this book once I've finished it myself.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Enjoyable, but still - my least favourite 44 Scotland Street book. Somehow the events seemed less well motivated than before and there was too much repetition of events from the past installments. I hope McCall Smith doesn't try to add to this series anymore, because I'm afraid he'll go on to spoil it... But still, like I said, enjoyable enough. And now off to toukokuu!

(This will count as a March read as I finished it several days before journaling.)

Journal Entry 9 by toukokuu at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Thanks for the book! I'll have to finish Expresso tales which I picked up from the library to catch up with the series. I've enjoyed that one a lot. Thanks for tagging me! After two weeks book will travel to halonhakkaaja.

Journal Entry 10 by toukokuu at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, April 23, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/24/2012 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Two weeks have gone by and it was a pleasure to read this book. I enjoyed the company of Bertie, Stuart, Matthew, Elspeth, Big Lou, Domenica, Angus and Cyril etc. It didn't really bother me, that I wasn't reading the series in order. I will mail the book tomorrow to halonhakkaaja.

EDIT: Actually mailed it yesterday, too busy...

Journal Entry 11 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The book came yesterday, thanks a lot! I'm currently reading David Copperfield by Dickens (in English) and there's about 500 pages still left. So it might happen, that I read this book kind of a 'snack', because I know it won't take long to read it. And I'm very curious to know, what's going on with Bertie. Others too, but mostly Bertie ;)

The postcard was very lovely, thanks. My mother collects postcards with books, so if she doesn't have this already, it goes to her collections :)

Journal Entry 12 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Friday, May 11, 2012

Absolutely enjoyable!

Journal Entry 13 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Monday, May 14, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/14/2012 UTC) at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland

The book is going to a next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by Rohtola at Soini, Etelä-Pohjanmaa / Södra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thank you halonhakkaaja!
And for the beautiful sunflower postcard too!

I´ve tried to read this book, but as much as I love McCall Smith´s Mma Ramotswe, this book doesn´t inspire at all.

Journal Entry 15 by Rohtola at Bengtskärin majakka in Kemiönsaari, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/27/2016 UTC) at Bengtskärin majakka in Kemiönsaari, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Majakka jäi.