corner corner The Amateur Marriage

The Amateur Marriage
by Anne Tyler | Romance
Registered by ahabraken of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 8/2/2011

status (set by Edwardstreet): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ahabraken from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Pauline and Michael seem like the perfect couple - young, attractive, made for each other. In the heat of World War II fevor, they are propelled into a hasty marriage. But while other young couples seem to grow more seasoned over time, Pauline and Michael remain amateurs.
Almost thrirty years later, when they find themselves as loving, instant parents to a little grandson, they sill cannot bridge their deep-rooted differences.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book received, thank you! And an excellent choice I might add :) I love Anne Tyler and actually already had one copy of this book in my TBR pile... Can't wait to dig in!

NB! It's been really rainy in Finland these past couple of days (not the typical Finnish January weather!) and the envelope was pretty soaked when I dug it out of my mailbox. One corner of the book is somewhat moist too, so I think I'll let it dry first...

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 13, 2012

Anne Tyler never lets me down. I enjoyed this one enormously. I love her subtlety and her observations. Her style. I also appreciate how she manages to create many-sided characters and make the reader to see and comprehend everyone's point of view. Excellent. Thanks for sharing, ahabraken!

I'll send this on to Franaloe this week.

Journal Entry 4 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, March 01, 2012

Nice, the February book is here! I have never read anything from Anne Tyler before, so here's a nice opportunity to changing this. Thanks, I'll start reading this book asap.

Journal Entry 5 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Why, what a nice book. Something that I would never have picked myself, so thanks a lot for the experience! Anne Tyler is a new author for me, and I appreciated her style, and the story that she wrote, of course. Thanks!

The book is on its way to LiniP (for March).

Journal Entry 6 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, March 19, 2012

The book waited for me as the March book of the favourite of 2011 round-about after my holiday. Thankfully I finished all my holiday reads and have started this book already. I am looking forward to reading this and will make sure that it travels before the end of March.

Journal Entry 7 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, March 24, 2012

I finished reading the book yesterday evening. I truly enjoyed the story even though the main question was unanswered in a way. But then again this made it more interesting to speculate yourself. The change in perspective from chapter to chapter was especially nice. The book will travel shortly to the next reader. Thank you for sharing this book, ahabraken.

Journal Entry 8 by LiniP at Gaildorf, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, March 26, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/26/2012 UTC) at Gaildorf, Baden-Württemberg Germany

The book will be on its way to the next reader in the round-about today.

Journal Entry 9 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, March 29, 2012

just received the book today and will read it soon.

Journal Entry 10 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Friday, April 20, 2012

just finished the book. I really enjoyed reading it. But why did Lindy leave???

Thanks for sharing the book, ahabraken, even if it wasn't your absolute favorite for 2011. :-) I'm not sure I would have picked up the book if I had seen it in a bookshop.

Journal Entry 11 by Qantaqa at Dachau, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The book arrived safely during the weekend. Will start reading soon.

Journal Entry 12 by Qantaqa at Dachau, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To me, this was just an ok read - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good either. I just didn't like Michael and Pauline all that much and was wondering throughout the book why they even got married in the first place? Just because of some fleeting physical attraction? It was quite obvious they WEREN'T made for each other. And what was the point of the whole Lindy story line? No, I'm afraid I won't pick up another book by this author... sorry!

The book will now travel to the next reader.

Journal Entry 13 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Picked that one up from the Packstation just in time. One day later and it would have gone back to qantaqa... That's what happens when you forget to mention that you're going on holidays soon when someone contacts you about sending a book to you. I'm glad it worked out though. Will send it on a.s.a.p.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, July 23, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/23/2012 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

on its way to Boekentrol

Journal Entry 15 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Arrived safely in my mailbox today. Thanks for sending, LilyKlip and for sharing, ahabraken. It'll travel with me on holiday, where I'll read lots of book. (I planned that, anyway.)

Journal Entry 16 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, September 13, 2012

This time you find no review of the book: I haven't read it.
Despite the planning, during my holidays and afterwards I did not get to read as much as I would have wanted to. This book is sitting on my shelf, together with several other 'favorites' books. Since I can't seem to get to them because life is getting in the way, I am going to send it on now to the next in line, marsala.

Journal Entry 17 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/13/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Together with 3 other books from the favorites roundabout, this book is now on its way to marsala.

Journal Entry 18 by marsala at Ravenstein, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Monday, October 08, 2012

The book arrived safely a couple of weeks ago and I just finished reading it.

I really enjoyed this book. The plot itself wasn't particularly exciting, but I still kept on reading it. The way Anne Tyler descripes every day situations is very nice and it creates a clear picture in my mind, it really comes to live. It certainly makes it more likely I will pick up a book by the same author in the future.

Will send the book on to elstaplador soon.

Journal Entry 19 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Forgot to journal this when it arrived - sorry!

I've had this sitting on my bookshelf for a while, but never seriously made an effort to read it until it turned up in the Favourite Book of 2011 roundabout. I'm wondering now why it took me so long to get to it! This is a fantastic novel that moves through the decades with a superb sense of time, place and character. While the title couple remark that theirs is an 'amateur' marriage among the many more professional ones around them, I got the impression that they represent a whole generation of hasty marriages and awkward, yet ultimately loving, relationships. Tyler has a very good grasp of how people work. Recommended.

Journal Entry 20 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2012

This arrived at the weekend.

Journal Entry 21 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I'm afraid I agree with Qantaqa on this one. It was only OK. I actually thought at one point I don't want to read about a failing marriage, it's going on enough in real life.

Journal Entry 22 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, January 07, 2013

Sending this out as a continuing bookray. So far the participants are :-

1. penelopewanders Eur to Eur
2. Bookworm-lady Eur to int
3. Dutchbooky Eur to Eur
4. Blue_berry Eur to Eur
5. vassilka Eur to EU
6. Edwardstreet NZ to int

Journal Entry 23 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/9/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Continuing it's way in the bookray

Journal Entry 24 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

This arrived here in the Swiss Alps today - thanks so much for sending. I have a few other books I have to read first, but I look forward to getting to this one. I haven't read an Anne Tyler in a number of years, and remember enjoying her books immensely.

Journal Entry 25 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

As in her other books, Tyler writes well and gives her characters great depth. This being said, perhaps it was my mood, but I found this book so very sad... much of the humor I found in previous novels seemed missing in this one. There was a quiet despair throughout, and even the quirkiness of the characters seemed to highlight their imperfection more than make them more endearing.
I have PMed for the next address and will try to send it off soon. Thanks so much for making it available.

Journal Entry 26 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, February 01, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/1/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Now on its way from the Swiss Alps to Spain. Thanks for making available and sending. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 27 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, February 11, 2013

It's here with me; thanks for sharing it, Earthcaroleanne, and thanks for sending it on, Penelopewanders (I love the cheese postcard with see-through holes).
I have a couple of bookrays before this one but I will try not to take long.

Journal Entry 28 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Currently reading. I will ask for Dutchbooky's address.

Journal Entry 29 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, June 09, 2013

A beautifully written novel; I hadn't read anything by Ms Tyler (see pic) before, and this was really a nice surprise.
The story of a couple from courting to old age; I love the way in which time transitions are made! These are flawed and real-to-life characters, very well described and easy to identify with.
A quote I particularly liked, which sums up the spirit of the novel:
"He believed that all of them, all those young marrieds of the war years, had started out on equal ignorance. He pictured them marching down a city street, as people had on the day he enlisted. Then two by two they fell away, having grown wise and seasoned and comfortable in their roles, until only he an Pauline remained, as inexperienced as ever _the last couple left in the amateur's parade."
Thank you for sharing the book with all of us, Ahabraken, and for the letter explaining your reasons, which still travels with the book.
And thanks for turning this into a bookray, Earthcaroleann, and for sending the book to me, Penelopewanders. I really enjoyed reading it, and I have discovered a new writer!
I already have Dutchbooky's address, so "The Amateur Marriage" will soon continue its travel towards The Netherlands.

Journal Entry 30 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, June 17, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (6/17/2013 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Dutchbooky in The Netherlands, who is next in this bookray.
I hope you'll like it as much as I did! :)

Journal Entry 31 by dutchbooky at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 23, 2013

The book arrived a few days ago. I will start reading it this weekend. My 2nd Anne Tyler. Looking forward to it.
Thanks for sharing and sending!

Journal Entry 32 by dutchbooky at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

I did not enjoy the book as much as I thought I would. I did not particularly like Pauline and Michael, although I could relate to some of the emotions they were going through. I do like Tyler's style of writing, so I'll definitely look out for more of her books.

I have the address for the next reader. I will try to get it in the mail by Thursday at the latest.

Journal Entry 33 by dutchbooky at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (7/11/2013 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Received with thanks!

Journal Entry 35 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 19, 2013

This was an enjoyable read. Tyler is as masterful with her characters as always. The story has a true life sense to it: it is apparent that, at least in a modern western society, the people don't really change and their lives carry on regardless of what happens.

Journal Entry 36 by Blue_berry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 19, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (8/19/2013 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sending off to the next reader in the bookray, enjoy!

Journal Entry 37 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Received it this morning. I've already started reading it and I like it so far!

Journal Entry 38 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

I enjoyed the book, it is well written, the characters are vivid. I liked the author's style and her humor. The end however disappointed me... Nevertheless I'd love to read another book of hers if I have the chance in the future.

I was out of town the last 12 days that's why I was late in posting it but I'll do it tomorrow. Thank you blue_berry for sending it to me and ahabraken as well as earthcaroleanne for sharing it with us all:-)

Journal Entry 39 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (10/9/2013 UTC) at Larisa, Larisa Greece

Off to Caroleanne in Scotland who will send it to New Zealand where the next-and last as it seems- participant is. Caroleanne thanks for the help!

Journal Entry 40 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 14, 2013

I forgot to register that I had received this. I PM'd edwardstreet for the address but I've managed to lose it so I'm waiting for it again..

Journal Entry 41 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Te Aro, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (12/7/2013 UTC) at Te Aro, Wellington Province New Zealand

On it's way in the bookring/ray.

Journal Entry 42 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, December 20, 2013

Letter box surprise, will read asap and release to the next person but I am unclear who is next-can anyone assist please? If there is nooone else I will take to the Melbourne Convention In April 2014.

Journal Entry 43 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 21, 2013

You're last on this round of the bookray so it's up to you what you do with it next.

Journal Entry 44 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Chicago Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, May 12, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/13/2014 UTC) at Chicago Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Had this for a long time and when I read it realsied I have read this before. A long troubled marriage.