corner corner Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother and Daughter Journey to the Sacred Places of Greece, Turkey, and France

by Sue Monk Kidd, Ann Kidd Taylor | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by loveamystery of not specified on Sunday, July 31, 2011

status (set by nbosko): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from not specified, not specified not specified on Sunday, July 31, 2011

The New York Times bestselling memoir of pilgrimage and metamorphosis by the author of The Secret Life of Bees and her daughter.

Sue Monk Kidd has touched the hearts of millions of readers with her beloved novels and acclaimed nonfiction. Now, in this wise and engrossing dual memoir, she and her daughter, Ann, chronicle their travels together through Greece and France at a time when each was on a quest to redefine herself and rediscover each other.

As Sue struggles to enlarge a vision of swarming bees into a novel, and Ann ponders the classic question of what to do with her life, this modern-day Demeter and Persephone explore an array of inspiring figures and sacred sites. They also give voice to that most protean of human connections: the bond of mothers and daughters

This book was disappointing to me after The Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair. I am putting it into my Coffee, Tea and Dessert VBB.

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery at on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (10/12/2011 UTC) at

Giving to eicuthbertson as a RABCK ( on her wishlist. ). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by eicuthbertson at on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Picked up at the Lower Mainland BookCrossing Meetup tonight.

Journal Entry 4 by eicuthbertson at on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Thanks, loveamystery.
I liked the mother/daughter contrast in the book, but honestly, I kept thinking they both need(ed) to just get on with life. I've been to many of the places they mention, and heaven knows, women's history is my thing, but too much introspection here for me. Liked some of the association of souvenirs and symbols though. Every day I use a Diana keychain from Greece that my ma gave me and I look at a ceramic of a mourning/contemplative Athena too. These both have/had very personal associations for us though - with my name and the CWAC.

Journal Entry 5 by eicuthbertson at on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/1/2012 UTC) at

Hoping this book strikes a chord with someone else. Do let us know what you thought.

Journal Entry 6 by nbosko at on Monday, July 02, 2012

im just to be about to read it and im incredibly excited!! - natasa b