corner corner The Vows of Silence (Simon Serrailler 4)

The Vows of Silence (Simon Serrailler 4)
by Susan Hill | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Korky of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 30, 2011

status (set by teachie): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hello and welcome to Bookcrossing!
Thanks for picking up this book. Treat it nicely, enjoy reading it and let everyone know what you thought of it here; you can be anonymous if you like or you might want to join Bookcrossing, if you do you can follow the book's onward journey. Then, pass it on when the time is right.

If you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me Korky , as your referring member.

Click here to find out more about BookCrossing in the Milton Keynes/ Bucks, Northants and Beds area.

Journal Entry 2 by Korky at Dolphin Cafe in Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (10/8/2011 UTC) at Dolphin Cafe in Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Taking to the meet up.

Journal Entry 3 by darkhorse4460 at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 09, 2011

Picked up at Towcester meet up on Saturday. Have read the first three of these novels with mixed feelings, interested to read the fourth. Susan Hill is one of my favourite authors.

Journal Entry 4 by darkhorse4460 at Wallingford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 08, 2012

I've had a slightly ambiguous relationship with this series of novels. Loved the first one, really didn't much like the second but feel they have improved since.

This is certainly a page turner. SH piles on the drama here, both in relation to the series of crimes that Simon Serailler is investigating and within his own family and personal life. Sometimes readers may feel that there is too much focus on the latter in Hill's novels to the extend that Simon is not really focusing on his job. I thought these aspects were well dealt with here and the family tragedy was well handled and moving in a way that was not oversentimentalised.

Simon continues to be a complete noodle with regard to his personal relationships with women and behaves childishly in his resentment of his widowed father's new partner. However there does seem to be a tiny grain of self-realisation here that he really needs to sort himself out and grow up. He is interesting, if infuriating!!

For a small cathedral town, Lafferton has more than its fair share of murders and catastrophes, its getting a little like 'Midsomer Murders'.

As with the previous novels there are a number of storyline and characters introduced that don't seem to go anywhere or are not resolved. I have to assume that these may be picked up later on in the series or that they were simply there to throw us off the scent of the killer - whose identity I completely failed to detect until it was revealed at the end. I guess I'm just not very good at picking these things up :-)

A little soapy in places - but very well written and compelling soap!!

Journal Entry 5 by darkhorse4460 at Oxford Retreat in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/1/2012 UTC) at Oxford Retreat in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

For release at BC meet on Thursday.

Journal Entry 6 by Ali4189 at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 09, 2012

picked up at meet

Journal Entry 7 by Ali4189 at Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/3/2012 UTC) at Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom

Might take this one back if no one grabs it.

Journal Entry 8 by teachie at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Picked this up at the meet tonight cos I like Susan Hill's books.