corner corner The Europeans : A Sketch

by Henry James | Literature & Fiction
Registered by JulieQ of Coralville, Iowa USA on 5/11/2002

status (set by georgip): available

Journal Entry 1 by JulieQ from Coralville, Iowa USA on Saturday, May 11, 2002

I read this one a while ago, but it's a wonderful story, wonderfully told by Henry James. Great characters, excellent dialogue and a pretty good plot.

Journal Entry 2 by JulieQ at New Pioneer Co-Op in Coralville, Iowa USA on Wednesday, May 22, 2002

Released on Friday, May 17, 2002 at New Pioneer Co-Op in Coralville, Iowa USA.

Journal Entry 3 by georgip from New York City, New York USA on Monday, January 04, 2010

I'm sorry to say it has been so long now that I have been holding this book, that I don't even remember where I caught it. It's been lurking around on my bookshelf for YEARS now - perhaps I picked it up on my cross-country trip, as I left Seattle for New York City, in 2002. That is my best guess. Or else in Minnesota, where I go to visit my family. My sister had described this program to me, and shortly afterward I discovered this book. Finally - after building new bookshelves in my apartment, and being forced to re-patriate the books to their new location - I have read the book. In one sitting. It was just what I needed. I found the language a bit awkward, but the characters were VERY finely drawn - except for Charlotte, who seemed like a bit of an aside. But I very much admired the depiction of the relationship between Acton & The Baroness, it was subtle and surprising - and very well resolved.