corner corner Guernica - Copy One

Guernica - Copy One
by Dave Boling | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on 7/25/2011

status (set by LindyLouMac): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, July 25, 2011

Product Description Amazon.co.uk
An extraordinary epic of love, family, and war set in the Basque town of Guernica before, during, and after its destruction by the German Luftwaffe during the Spanish Civil War.

In 1935, Miguel Navarro finds himself in conflict with the Spanish Civil Guard and flees the Basque fishing village of Lekeitio to make a new start in Guernica, the centre of Basque culture and tradition. Once there, he finds more than just a new life – he finds someone to live for. Miren Ansotegui is the charismatic and graceful dancer he meets and the two discover a love they believe nothing can destroy . . .

Rich in the history of the region, the Red Baron, the Luftwaffe and even Picasso make appearances in Guernica as the fate of the Navarro family is traced through the early decades of the twentieth century.

Until I read this novel my only knowledge of ‘Guernica’ was as a place in the Basque region of Spain that had come under attack during the Spanish Civil War. I had also heard of Picasso’s painting of the same name, but had never looked at it closely. Although I have now done so online, it would be a moving experience to see it in reality, especially now I know more about the events behind the creation. I understand when reading historical fiction that fact and fiction are sometimes difficult to separate. So I enjoy the fact that reading a novel like this one, besides being a pleasure to read has also taught me something along the way.

The novel concentrates on the story of two Basque families related by marriage the Ansotegui’s and the Navarro’s. An extraordinary fictional tale of their family life from 1893 – 1940 with appearances by some real people from history. The story is woven around the characters Miguel Navarro and Miren Ansotegui, when the two of them meet they believe they have a love that nothing can destroy.

While reading this I felt thoroughly immersed in the surroundings and so connected with the characters that I felt their grief and happiness as if I knew them personally. This is truly a wonderful love story not just between individuals but a love of family, traditions and place, definitely one of my favourite reads this year.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at At her home, By Hand - to my daughter -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 03, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/11/2011 UTC) at At her home, By Hand - to my daughter -- Controlled Releases

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, October 03, 2011

Journal Entry 4 by LindyLouMac at by hand, A friend -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/10/2011 UTC) at by hand, A friend -- Controlled Releases