corner corner The Baghdad Blog

The Baghdad Blog
by Salam Pax | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by FullCircle of Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Friday, September 19, 2003

status (set by FullCircle): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by FullCircle from Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Friday, September 19, 2003

Bought today, to be read. I found Salam's Blog about six weeks ago, and wished I had known about it earlier. His reports from the heart of war changed my outlook on the whole sad situation. I haven't read all the back-log on his site back to Sept. 2002, instead bought the book published a few days ago by The Guardian.

(From the back cover) In September 2002, a young Iraqi calling himself 'Salam Pax' began posting accounts of everyday life in Baghdad on to the internet. Written in English, in the form of a web log (or `blog'), these bulletins contained everything from musings on his CD collection to open criticisms of Saddam's regime. In keeping this web diary, Salam took a huge risk: if he had been caught condemning it could have cost him his life.
Salam Pax's incisive and sharply funny diary entries soon attracted a worldwide readership. As the American-led force gathered to invade Iraq, Salam's diary became an extraordinary record of the anticipation, resentment, bemusement and sheer terror felt by an ordinary man living through the final days of a long dictatorship, and the chaos that has followed its destruction.
The Baghdad Blog tells the story of the war in Iraq from inside that besieged country. It provides a gripping and wholly unique perspective on the conflict and its aftermath.

More links: Where's Raed? The Baghdad Blog
More about the book. With a really weird promo animation... 8-o - for those who are into Aphex Twins.
Riverbend's blog, online since middle of August 2003. A 24yr old programmer from Baghdad, she writes reports on the life during and after the invasion of Iraq. Some of them really nasty. There is no heroism in war, especially if you're on the receiving side.

Journal Entry 2 by FullCircle from Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Friday, September 19, 2003

This will be a book ring for German-language countries after I'm done. Up to 10 entries.
If you don't want to wait, or you're not in one of the countries, you can read all of it online ;-) (link provided above).
BTW, today is Salam Pax's 30th birthday. Happy birthday, Salam, und pass auf Dich auf.

1. Lisa-B
2. Falzbein
3. Ench
4. Mojitopt
5. elhamisabel
6. Toshokanin (formely known as: Infomanager)
7. GirlFromIpanema

Journal Entry 3 by FullCircle from Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Saturday, November 15, 2003

Mailed today (18.11.). Und offensichtlich ist TheBloodys Lieblingspostbüdel versetzt worden, denn die Neue am Schalter hat doch tatsächlich den *wiederverschließbaren* Klebeverschluß deaktiviert (umgefaltet) und meinte, das dürfe nicht sein. Jetzt ist das Buch also nur noch durch eine mickrige Spreizklammer vom Rausfallen getrennt. Falls Lisa-B eine Spreizklammer überhat: Vielleicht kannst Du ja noch eine zusätzliche Sicherung anbringen...

Journal Entry 4 by Lisa-B on Saturday, November 22, 2003

The Baghdad Blog was in my mailbox yesterday. Thanks to GirlFromIpanema for sharing this book, which I am very much looking forward to read. Zum Glück habe ich jede Menge von diesen Spreizklammern :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Lisa-B on Friday, November 28, 2003

Thanks for introducing me to Salam Pax' blog. I could very well relate to Salam's thoughts and fears (and his preferences in music :-) I am amazed at how similar AND how different people from very different cultural backgrounds think and feel.
Having a quick look at his blog it seems that he is now sharing his time between Baghdad and London. His email is a @nme one (the NME being the most important music magazine from the UK), and he is a celebrity now, something he could not have avoided even if he had wanted to. There was an interview/article in the STERN also.
I'll try to keep up with what's going on in the Iraq by Salam's blog and others linked to it.

I am mailing the book to Falzbein within the next few days. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Falzbein from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, December 08, 2003

The book has been waiting for me for days in my postoffice, went and fetched it today. Will be read ASAP - and yes, I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by FullCircle from Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Tuesday, June 01, 2004

This bookring has died an untimely dead... I officially pronounce it terminated.

Toshokanin has offered to send her copy as a new bookring on to the other participants, which would be:

mojitopt and
elhamisabel
(ench couldn't be contacted in the last time)

Thanks, toshokanin!

Journal Entry 8 by FullCircle from Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Monday, June 28, 2004

Toshokanins bookring is under way. Read further comments about this book here!

BTW, Salam stopped blogging in April of this year, officially announcing a hiatus. He probably has other things to worry about, now :.-(. Thanks, Salam Pax, for letting us have a look at things we wouldn't have been able to see without you and the other Iraqi bloggers.

Journal Entry 9 by Falzbein from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, October 03, 2005

yes, I did read the book, so i have to admit, that I was rather moved when I read it, but don't seem to remember a lot besides being moved now. Will go back to girl - sorry for crashing the bookring - Suse

Journal Entry 10 by FullCircle from Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Baghdad Blog is home again :-).
Thanks, Suse, also for the nicely perfumed addition to the envelope! Mmmmm *schnüffel* :-).

The Baghdad Blog is now PC, but if someone wants to read it, I am willing to send it out as a BookLoan (Leihgabe).

Journal Entry 11 by FullCircle from Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Sunday, April 23, 2006

Meine gesamte Persönliche Sammlung ist jetzt bei LibraryThing aufgelistet!
See my full Personal Collection at LibraryThing!