corner corner The Historian

The Historian
by Elizabeth Kostova | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by tashclayton of Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, July 23, 2011

status (set by Vix73): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by tashclayton from Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, July 23, 2011

I picked this up today for a £1 from a little antiques/ bric-a-brac shop on York Road.

This one is about a family history that's written in some yellowing papers. It seems somewhat appropriate as i'm currently typing up my grandma's memoirs and have twice this week referred to my old diaries to look up how i felt and when something happened. Who knows, perhaps someone will write my history some day.

Journal Entry 2 by tashclayton at Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (8/12/2011 UTC) at Camden, Greater London United Kingdom

I really enjoyed this book. In many ways it's a travel book - I read a quote recently about how much more enjoyable travel was when you're old enough to know something of the world. So travel to Turkey, Romania and Bulgaria takes you through endless layers of history & architecture, landscape and people all with a running theme of tracing Dracula, but how much more interesting such places with knowledge. I'd love to trace through the journey. A quest also takes you to places which are way off the tourist trail and all the more interesting for that. And yet this is really just a vampire story.

Have handed over to one of my friends who is reading a vampire book at present and is also a book crosser. I don't expect her to read it just yet, but am ever hopeful there will be an entry when she does

Journal Entry 3 by tashclayton at == Buses, taxis, tube, trains == in Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/17/2012 UTC) at == Buses, taxis, tube, trains == in Camden, Greater London United Kingdom

Try it now Vicky?

Journal Entry 4 by Vix73 at Southfields, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I love vampire stories but at times I thought this book went a little too into descriptive detail. I did enjoy the story though, and it has made me interested to go to Romania and try to track some of the tales told in this book!

Not nearly scarey enough, or really a page turner, but the title explains the story well and you can almost believe some of the plot!

A tale to be read by vampire enthusiasts!