corner corner City of the Mind

City of the Mind
by Penelope Lively | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 7/19/2011

status (set by Annimanni): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

From the back:

"Wherever architect Matthew Halland looks in London, the city offers his its history - and his own.

Here lie memories of his boyhood, his daughter Jane's early years and his failed marriage. Here too is the London of prehistory, of grander times and of the Blitz. But Matthew is occupied with constructing a new future for London in Docklands, and as he strives to look ahead for the city he begins tentatively to forge new beginnings of his own."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, June 12, 2015

Excellent, again. I must get my hands on more of Lively's works. I particularly enjoyed the way Lively makes London, its buildings and streets and squares - and history - come alive. I was aching to get back to London all through the book (I lived there for a few years some time ago). I will keep this book in my PC for time being as I think I may want to come back to it at some later time.