corner corner The BC Support team is recruiting

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The BC Support team is recruiting

Hello,
Lately we feel that it's hard to answer all the questions that pour into the Support system. We seem to be short-handed. At the same time, it's been made clear that there are many members who are eager to help BookCrossing in some way. So maybe it's time to bring these two things together and see what happens?

We are looking for one, two or possibly three new Support volunteers. Here's what we're after:
- People who love BookCrossing, know the site very well, and like to explain stuff.
- People who are pretty good with computers. You don't need to be a programmer, but you do need to know enough not to be confused by terms like URL, cookie and HTTPS. Do you know which browser you are using and how to install a different one? Then you probably know enough to help us.
- People who can spend some time, several times a week, not following any specific schedule (other than your own).
- People who read and write decent English. An extra language would be a big plus.

Here's what you'll get:
- A very real way to help people enjoy BookCrossing, and to help BookCrossing forward.
- Permanent Wings if you want them.
- Extra abilities to do things on the site.
- The responsibilities that come with them! (That's the scary part.)
- More quality time with Google Translate than you ever knew you wanted.
- Our database of information that we gathered over the years, and that will help you give the right answers.
- The feeling that you are not just a spectator/consumer on this site, but also a part of what makes BookCrossing 'tick'.
- In other words, not a whole lot. If you're still interested, you may be the right candidate...

You'd be working in a small team spread out over the globe. You would be choosing your own hours and even picking the tickets you feel you can answer. We would, of course, show you the ropes and help you learn how to use the Support system, and answer your questions. Also, team members can always ask for guidance from other members.

Still interested? Then please send us a message through the Support system (contact form). We promise to get back to you within a week, to let you know whether we think it's a good fit.

Thanks for reading and if you are in any of the non-English forum sections, please help spread the word!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello,
Lately we feel that it's hard to answer all the questions that pour into the Support system. We seem to be short-handed. At the same time, it's been made clear that there are many members who are eager to help BookCrossing in some way. So maybe it's time to bring these two things together and see what happens?

We are looking for one, two or possibly three new Support volunteers. Here's what we're after:
- People who love BookCrossing, know the site very well, and like to explain stuff.
- People who are pretty good with computers. You don't need to be a programmer, but you do need to know enough not to be confused by terms like URL, cookie and HTTPS. Do you know which browser you are using and how to install a different one? Then you probably know enough to help us.
- People who can spend some time, several times a week, not following any specific schedule (other than your own).
- People who read and write decent English. An extra language would be a big plus.

Here's what you'll get:
- A very real way to help people enjoy BookCrossing, and to help BookCrossing forward.
- Permanent Wings if you want them.
- Extra abilities to do things on the site.
- The responsibilities that come with them! (That's the scary part.)
- Our database of information that we gathered over the years, and that will help you give the right answers.
- The feeling that you are not just a spectator/consumer on this site, but also a part of what makes BookCrossing 'tick'.
- In other words, not a whole lot. If you're still interested, you may be the right candidate...

You'd be working in a small team spread out over the globe. You would be choosing your own hours and even picking the tickets you feel you can answer. We would, of course, show you the ropes and help you learn how to use the Support system, and answer your questions. Also, team members can always ask for guidance from other members.

Still interested? Then please send us a message through the Support system (contact form). We promise to get back to you within a week, to let you know whether we think it's a good fit.

Thanks for reading and if you are in any of the non-English forum sections, please help spread the word!
Profile Image
I sent you a message, thanks!
Profile Image
I sent you a message, thanks!

Ditto!!! ; )
Profile Image
as I tend to go travelling, and when travelling I often don't have great internet. In fact, I'm just about to take a long road trip, to parts where some days there might be no internet.
Before I retired (over ten years ago now, so rust does set in), I would assist on the IT desk at work. Not programming or fixing computers; these were left to the IT people, but I would assist by doing simpler tasks, suck as setting up email accounts, installing programs, data entry and the like. However, if I went back I would need a refresher.
If you don't get enough other volunteers, I am willing to assist when I can.
Profile Image
... hoping I can help :-)
Profile Image
I'm sending in a form in a minute :-)
Profile Image
but this is great news, and a great response to what members have been discussing about the last few weeks.
Profile Image

Just a tipp:
There is a new kid in town with better results although for not so many languages as Google Translate:

https://www.deepl.com/translate

The following languages are available:
German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Polish

(Note: I am NOT affiliated with this program of the people behind. I just love the results of this - I am using it often at work to correspond with my French-speaking colleagues.)

Cheers,
Wy
Profile Image
Just a tipp:
There is a new kid in town with better results although for not so many languages as Google Translate:

https://www.deepl.com/translate
Thanks for sharing this, Wyando!!! : D I wasn't aware of it, have tried it just now for a few random sentences, and I think it does indeed, provide better results. ; )
Profile Image
I'm the webmaster on the Spanish mirror (bookcrossing-spain.org)

I'm Full Stack developer (mainly Java and AngularJs/React), if I can help you I will try doing my best
Profile Image
That all sounds great. I'd love to help with the French and Spanish, but need to be realistic at the moment with regard to the amount of time I have... Something for the future...!
Profile Image
Q: - How much of a time commitment are we talking about?
A: - Checking for issues every day would be ideal. If you can't do that every day, several days of the week is quite helpful too.
You might spend around 15 minutes every time. Sometimes more, sometimes less and of course this depends on the size of the team.

Q: - I'm not all that great with computers. Anything else that I could help with?
A: - We might ask you to help with region management instead, if you are okay with that. Maybe in the future there will be more different tasks on offer. For now, these two things are what we can use help with.

Q: - I'd like to help but I haven't used BookCrossing much yet. A few months or so.
A: - Please stick around, get some more BookCrossing experience under your belt, and by all means do check in again in a year or so. We are mostly looking for people who are very familiar with the site.

Q: - Do I need to install any software or have a fast/modern computer? Do I need to be using Windows?
A: - The Support system runs in your browser. It should run in pretty much whichever browser you prefer, on pretty much any computer and operating system. There is no specific software you'd need to install. But you might want to install the messaging program that we use so you can join the group and talk to other Support volunteers.

Q: - Will people know my BookCrossing name when I answer their questions? Will other members know I'm on the Support team?
A: - Only if you want them to.
Profile Image
Sent a message your way. Only speak/read/write English, but comfortable with computers, browsers and the like.
Profile Image
A clear case of bad timing. Sorry about that, but don't worry, this is not something we're going to forget about! And thanks to all who applied so far. It's great to see so many people eager to help out.
Profile Image
Drumming fingers on desktop...JUST kidding!!! : D Thanks for letting us know. ; )
Profile Image
Good morning

Translator from English to Portuguese here... let me know if I can help.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.