corner corner Server upgrade on Feb. 6: site will be down for several hours.

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Server upgrade on Feb. 6: site will be down for several hours.

From Reno:

"We've scheduled a necessary server upgrade at our datacenter for next Tuesday, Feb 6, at 9:00PM Central US Time.

"The site will unfortunately be unreachable during the upgrade, as we're making images of physical servers (which requires taking them offline) and moving them to a virtual server configuration. The new servers will be bigger (important as we're running out of disk space on current servers) and should be faster as well.

"Expected downtime is 3-6 hours."

Complete Thread

Profile Image
From Reno:

"We've scheduled a necessary server upgrade at our datacenter for next Tuesday, Feb 6, at 9:00PM Central US Time.

"The site will unfortunately be unreachable during the upgrade, as we're making images of physical servers (which requires taking them offline) and moving them to a virtual server configuration. The new servers will be bigger (important as we're running out of disk space on current servers) and should be faster as well.

"Expected downtime is 3-6 hours."
Profile Image
Great to know, our beloved site is having an upgrade.
Profile Image
Hope all goes well.
Profile Image

Fabulous news

Thanks for the info
Profile Image
Here's hoping for fewer go-slows and can't-access-the-sites and such like after it!
Profile Image
Excellent news about the upgrade, thanks team! :)
Profile Image
and wish all the best for the update activities. A big thank you to the BC support team!
Profile Image
Extremely GRATEFUL FOR all of those who are a part of BC's TEAM RENO, and for the many months of dedication it has taken each and every one of you to reach this much anticipated exciting Bookcrossing milestone. Here's to a BRIGHT and HAPPY continuing future for our Worldwide Bookcrossing Library Family!!! ; D XOXOXO

"Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens ..."

Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Profile Image

Good luck!

Profile Image
I'm very grateful that BC is back again. Thanx.
Profile Image
yes, everything seems to be okay :-)
Profile Image
Thank you :)
Profile Image
which is what I usually use these days - but I'm here in the Old Way, as it were!
I hope the other route will follow!
Profile Image
And now it has! Thank you!
Profile Image
Thumbs up for the new configuration!
Profile Image
Hugely!

I used to get so frustrated with BC. Other sites would respond immediately, and BC took *forever*. It's noticeably better now.
Profile Image
I used to get so frustrated with BC. Other sites would respond immediately, and BC took *forever*. It's noticeably better now.

I agree. I haven't tried to do anything fancy (like uploading book covers) but it's noticeably faster even with just general browsing around the site.
Profile Image
Thumbs up for the new configuration!

Yes! Well done! Everything seems to be faster now!
Profile Image
I was Saving a Forum post - which I think has now Saved twice!!! *

. . . . . . . .

Sorry, an error occurred
Error Details

Error Message: We're sorry. An error occurred while processing your request. Please try again, and if the error continues contact our support staff. Thank you for you patience while we clean out the bugs.

You may try again by clicking here: Try again

. . . . . .

* ETA: Yes, I've now been back and deleted the duplicate copy!
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9074643
Profile Image
which I think has now Saved twice!!!

I registered a book and kept getting that error message so I tried another twice. It had worked the first time so I just ended up with 3 journal entries. Just assumed I was maybe too quick in trying.

ETA - I should mention no problem with book image which I have always had to upload separately recently.
Profile Image
One while trying to save a post - and this time it hadn't saved. Last time it had so I didn't try again. This time it hadn't and I had to re-key it! Inconsistent!!!

Still, the site IS much faster, so that's some sort of a bonus. Shame it's still so error ridden, though :-(
Profile Image
And the site is much faster!
Haven't tried anything else yet, but I'm happy with these first results :-)
Profile Image

Speedy!

Loving the speed post server upgrade!
Profile Image
Hopefully the problems I'm having now are because the site is being worked on behind the scenes. Very, very slow. Error messages one after another. And my wings are gone so I can't use the search that I use 99.9% of the time.

Well, maybe that's a message to put in another label order and order wings, even though I'm supposed to already have them. I've got way tooooooo many books I want to register to do them without being able to do a Latest Journal Entry sort.

At least I finished my 66 release notes done before the trouble started. : )
Profile Image
I can see your wings. Not sure what's going on there - you should have the usual wings privs.
Profile Image
I can see your wings.

That might be because I just put in an $88. order at the Supply Store. : )

Which was also frustrating, as the Supply Store wasn't working right. But I needed my Latest Journal Entry sort so I wasn't about to give up!
Profile Image
the Supply Store wasn't working right.

I'm glad that you persisted, and I've forwarded your comments to the Tech Team. These issues with the Store really need to be addressed, and soon.

In the meantime, anyone having trouble with the Store could try the mobile version which lives here: https://bookcrossing.ecwid.com/
Profile Image
I do notice however that we have lost the capacity to add a cover picture when a book registered by another is in our hands.
Hope we get this back - I love all the cover pictures on my profile!
Profile Image
Oh no! That was a very good feature, please put it back.

Otherwise, loving the faster site.
Profile Image
we have lost the capacity to add a cover picture when a book registered by another is in our hands.

I've just done this and it worked OK.
Profile Image
Definitely no opportunity for me, no ‘Update Cover’ as before.
Profile Image
Yes, still there for me too now I've checked. :)
Profile Image
Yes, still there for me too now I've checked. :)

I think it's back to a much better speed too. But is there any news on a return to getting journal alerts? I didn't realise that they weren't working but had noticed a complete drop in activity. Luckily I went to a meetup and discovered what's been happening. It's a major fault as where's the incentive? Hope it can be fixed soon.
Profile Image
is there any news on a return to getting journal alerts?

No, there is no news on that.
Profile Image

Don't know

about others, but I have encountered more error messages yesterday & today than I have for a long time. Let's hope it's just temporary.
Profile Image
Or is the site (especially the forums) back to normal speed again. Which actually means it's the slowest site that I visit.
Even loading a book journal takes again very long.
And I was so happy shortly after the server update about the new speed...
Profile Image
And maybe I had raised my expectations too high, but I hoped that maybe the error messages and various glitches would be reduced after the server update. Unfortunately situation remains the same if not getting worse. For example, just a couple of minutes ago I tried to check my profile page and another member's came up. And since yesterday, 4 out of 10 times I try to access one sub-forum or another I get error messages. Not good!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.