corner corner Please expect the unexpected

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Please expect the unexpected

Since Reno has returned to the site (yay!), he's been looking at bugs and necessary fixes, as well as possible new features. He's also been tinkering and experimenting here and there. This is likely to continue for a while.
So if something on the site changes, and works differently from what you're used to and would expect, don't feel alarmed. It's very likely that you are seeing the effects, and sometimes the side-effects, of work in progress.

If something really seems broken, and doesn't correct itself within a day or two, do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your patience, it's appreciated!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Since Reno has returned to the site (yay!), he's been looking at bugs and necessary fixes, as well as possible new features. He's also been tinkering and experimenting here and there. This is likely to continue for a while.
So if something on the site changes, and works differently from what you're used to and would expect, don't feel alarmed. It's very likely that you are seeing the effects, and sometimes the side-effects, of work in progress.

If something really seems broken, and doesn't correct itself within a day or two, do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your patience, it's appreciated!
Profile Image
Thanks for letting us know, and I would just like to say a special Thank You to Heather & Bruce and the rest of the team for taking such good care of BookCrossing all the time Reno was away. I know there were some difficult times, and your hard work is noticed and appreciated!
Profile Image
a special Thank You to Heather & Bruce and the rest of the team

I second that! Thank you very much!
Profile Image
I thought perhaps that was the case. ; ) THANK YOU ALL...for all of your hard work and dedication to keeping BC alive and making it the best it can be!!! : D
Profile Image
and making it the best it can be!!! : D

Yes, make BC great again! BC first! *SCNR*
Profile Image

We'll make it huge. It'll be tremendous, believe me. ;)
Profile Image

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! BC already IS great!!! Don't change it TOO much. You all are TOO FUNNY!!! : D

Profile Image

*LOL* I imagine Ballycumber with The President's hair style.
Profile Image
RE:
I imagine Ballycumber with The President's hair style

HAHAHAHAHA!!! HEAven forBID!!!
Profile Image

BIGLY!

Profile Image
Thank you for all the hard work you put in the site to keep it up and running and to fix the things that are suddenly not working well.

I appreciate it BIGLY ;-)

May a new font be a possible (side) effect from the work in progress? Is it temporary, or are you planning on changing fonts throughout the site?
Profile Image
On broken "things": should we report them here or elsewhere?
(E.g., html-based link on profile broke down at least starting yesterday.)
Profile Image
On broken "things": should we report them here or elsewhere?
(E.g., html-based link on profile broke down at least starting yesterday.)

There is no need to report that at all, it's a known problem and a side effect of the work in progress.

But if there is something to report, it's best to use the Broken Bits forum as usual (and check for existing threads).
Profile Image
fixed, and the site working properly first. Then changes we've requested, and were told were on the list to implement long ago, before looking at new features.

New features don't do us much good when the site doesn't function. And there are many features waiting that we've been told would be forthcoming. In my opinion, playing with new features is not the priority, fixing what's broken, and what we've already requested, or been promised, over and over, is. Those are the things that frustrate loyal members and sometimes make them drop out.

ETA: (which the site wouldn't let me save earlier).

And anything that can be done so we can support the site, fixing the bookplate situation and restoring the affiliates link come to mind, should also be a priority. We all want the site to succeed, but right now it is more difficult than it should be to support it.

Profile Image
fixed, and the site working properly first. Then changes we've requested, and were told were on the list to implement long ago, before looking at new features.

New features don't do us much good when the site doesn't function. And there are many features waiting that we've been told would be forthcoming. In my opinion, playing with new features is not the priority, fixing what's broken, and what we've already requested, or been promised, over and over, is. Those are the things that frustrate loyal members and sometimes make them drop out.

You take the words right out of my mouth!
Profile Image
The edit button for my profile does not work. Not sure if anyone has reported this or if I am reporting it to the correct thread. I am loving the update - except for this. :-)
Profile Image
The edit button for my profile does not work.

That's a known problem; luckily the Manage Profile link on the Home menu works as usual.
Profile Image
The upgrade to wings message appears on every page above the Recently Released icons. It would be appropriate I guess if I didn't have wings but you can see the Canadian flags flying beside my name and I have checked my profile which says they are valid until December. It would be nice to not have it there.
Profile Image
Since the changes started, I have lost the photos off my profile.

I have re-entered the link on the profile, but it has not restored the photos. Has this happened to other BookCrossers, and is there a solution to this problem?

I've also sent two e-mails about this through the "Contact Us" link, but have not received the automated response, or received any response. So I'm wondering if that's not working, either.

Thank you for any help.
Profile Image
Has this happened to other BookCrossers, and is there a solution to this problem?

Yes (everyone), and yes. You can either wait for Reno to fix it, which seems likely to happen, or you can dive into the code of your profile and make some changes.

First of all, make a backup! Copy the current content of the profile edit box, save it as a text file somewhere on your computer.l You never know.
Now change the codes for the images by removing spaces. Leave the ones in a href and img src. Remove the ones after quote signs (") and fish hooks (>).

For example, change
...413106514.jpg" border="0" alt="Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com">
to
...413106514.jpg"border="0"alt="Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com">
That should do the job.
Profile Image
I've been liking the changes so far!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.